Advice re F&E Overflow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Blocked water supply in house by mistake, then got it back, followed suggested routine, start from highest outlet down, supply restored but since then f&e tank overflows, ever so slightly, occasionally the overflow stops but during 24 hrs about 3-4 buckets collect.
Get conflicting advice from plumbers - one says it is NOT the coil (I have a traditional vented system) in the hw cylinder, if it would be I would get dirty water from my taps. Other plumber says there must be a pin hole in the coil.
I can afford a new cylinder, but try to avoid it if there is a simpler solution. Looked at the diagram for a traditional system and see that there is one pipe leading from th hwc to the f&e tank and enters it near the bottom of the tank. Can it really allow water in because of a hole in coil?
Ever since the water was switched off for a few hours and the supply dried up on all taps the cold storage tank makes quite a gurgling noise in the morning - just a few minutes - and occasionally during day, never more than 1-2 minutes. Also knocking sounds when heating/boiler switches on since my mishap, before dead quiet as the system got flushed a few years ago (before I also had these knocking noises).
Thanks! I despair, plumbing more complicated than theory of Relativity? :)

Sponsored Links
Looked at the diagram for a traditional system and see that there is one pipe leading from th hwc to the f&e tank and enters it near the bottom of the tank.
****************quote ***********
The f&e tank is the smaller one and feeds the boiler/ central heating.
The larger tank is the cold water storage and feeds to the bottom of the hot water cylinder.
Is the f&e tank overflowing 3 buckets of water then ?

Last edited:
yes, small tank is overflowing, and PICASSO - ask again as plumbers give different opinions, so try to find a workable solution

Sponsored Links
That's the reason you should stick to one thread, then anyone that reads and replies to your post can see what has already been suggested ,if you want to bring your post back to the top of the page just post "bump" on your thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back