Advice re underfloor heating please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I may make this sound more complicated than it actually is, but please bear with me.

I have just done my bathroom and taken out a shower, which had a pull switch on the ceiling for power and was run to a 30amp breaker on the main board. I switched off the power, disconnected the shower and all was well.... I then installed underfloor heating which I need to run to a 6amp breaker on the board.

I left the 6mm cable running up to the pull switch from the board in place but left it disconnected. I have now wired everything in place for the floor and was intending to use the existing cable to connect to the power to the floor throught the pull switch. I have now been told I shouldn't do this.

Any ideas?

Also I assume I'll have to change the breaker on the board from 30/32 amp to a 6, is this a simple job?

Sponsored Links
Also I assume I'll have to change the breaker on the board from 30/32 amp to a 6, is this a simple job?
You can do this but as you suggest the breaker should be replaced with a 6A MCB (assuming that is the manufacturers instructions). The circuit must be RCD protected.

The only reason I can think of why someone said you can't do this work is because replacing a protective device is notifiable to your LABC.

OK, here comes my ignorance....

I thought it was rcd protected if it was using the old shower connection and I just changed the breaker at the board, the only thing I would be changing was running the heating from the box instead of a shower.

Sponsored Links
That is assuming the old shower circuit was RCD protected - it may not have been.

Posta pic of your consumer unit - we'll tell you.

Oh and PS
re
The only reason I can think of why someone said you can't do this work is because replacing a protective device is notifiable to your LABC.

Much more than that - you must notify ANY electrical work in a bathroom BEFORE you start work
and
there is a very detailed plan that you must complete when installing underfloor electric heating. see BS7671(2008) 753.514

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back