Advice requested on pointing paths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again
Having just finished another deck with advice from members I am now moving on to the next phase - a small artificial lawn.

I have laid paths on three sides using Marshalls Saxon Mocha, however I did not point them at the time.

The main path has been down more than a year and the small paths a couple of months.

I think I should now point them before laying the lawn and, as I have never done this before I need some advice please. I built stone walls and pointed using Hanson Mortar but i felt it was a bit sandy/crumbly so not sure if I should use for the paths.

I have read here about stuff like easipoint - but how easy is it really?

The mortar gaps are 7-10mm. Here are some pictures --

The Main Path

Path 2

Path 3
[/img]

My questions are

1 What should I use? Hanson Mortar, sand cement, commercial product. Wet or dry.

2 How do I do it? Trowel, gun etc.

3 How do I avoid overspill (mess)? I thought about masking the slabs :oops: .

Any advice very much appreciated.

Thank you
Jim

Sponsored Links
I use about 4 or 5 to 1 sand cement.

I always do it wet, dry has no strength when it sets and it just cracks and things grow in it.

I stick a good lot of plasticiser in my mix 'cos it tends to take a while to use the whole mix.

I do use a fairly dry wet mix tho, if that makes sense.

I use a small pointing trowel, but your 7mm gaps are pretty small so it won't be that easy.

I let it dry until it's getting crumbly and then use a length of 15 or 22 waterpipe to finish it.

Then I just brush it up with good soft brush. I've no idea what the finish on those flags is like so can't say much about staining etc, but I find if my mix is nice and firm in the first place then there's usually no soak into surrounding flags.

Thanks for your clear reply, keefersUK.

Failing any alternative suggestions I'll follow your method. Can you recommend a plasticiser?

The finish on the slabs is textured - like a rough sandpaper, and I read on another topic that they are easily marked.

Thanks again
Jim

Sponsored Links
I use the Larsen stuff, but simply 'cos that's what everyone stocks near me. I'm sure it's all much of a muchness.

I add it to the water first, and then use the water/plasticiser mix. You'll need a LOT less water than normal.

If it's going to mark it, you could try your tape idea. You could also always use hydrochloric-based patio/brick cleaner afterwards which dissolves the cement, but it sometimes takes the colour clean out of the actual flags so you need to be careful.

Of course, if you've an old cut of flag lying about somewhere to test these things on then so much the better.

More good advice thank you.

I'll follow your method and fortunately I do ha have a half slab to check things out on.

Cheers
Jim

There's lots of other advice on here about how to point a patio. In summary, use a sand/cement 4/1 mix, wet enough to form into a ball when squeezed, dry enough to crumble again when prodded. That way, it wont stain the slabs. Press it in with a pointing tool (or pipe) until you cant press any more into the gap. With a soft brush, lightly flick the remainder away after a cpl of minutes - if you have done it right, you will be left with a smooth grounted joint.

Those Saxon slabs are really hard to clean, and using a wet mortar as described will be disastrous if you are at all inexperienced, or potentially, if you are not.

IMHO

It depends on your definition of wet or dry Wabbit!

My "fairly dry wet mix" would be about the same consistency as you've described.

Plenty people though do it totally dry and just brush it in, that's what I was describing when I said it was naff.

Fair enough. Agreed, dry is doomed to failure.

Incedentally, also doomed is if the mix gets very wet because it rains before the mix has gone off because some nincompoop at the Met Office (which is an expensive and un-necessary luxury, should be disbanded, IMHO) did not know it was going to rain......... :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back