Pointing gaps in paving.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again folks.

I'm laying a 1.2m wide path using Marshall's Saxon paving in two sizes. Alternating 2 600x600 then 2 600 x 300 outside with a single 600 x 600 in middle and so on.

Marshall's recommend a gap of 8 - 10mm. Obviously the gaps will alternate horizontally - two gaps, one gap and so on. What's the correct procedure?

If I have two 8mm gaps do I then need a single 16mm gap? Or is there slight variations in the flag sizes?

Once again, any help appreciated.

Thanks, Jim.

Sponsored Links
Hello

You wouldn't do it like that because it wouln't look right.
But I dont think they are available in 600x300 anyway are they ?.

You need to work out the width at its greatest (that is, with two gaps, 3 slabs, or whatever your pattern dictates) and hence make some smaller and some bigger than the 10mm to make the slabs fit. Saxon are pretty good size-wise, that is, they are consistent, although you will find they are not square - rectangular in fact. And you thought it'd be easy! That's why we make our money!

Have fun!

Sponsored Links
You need to work out the width at its greatest (that is, with two gaps, 3 slabs, or whatever your pattern dictates) and hence make some smaller and some bigger than the 10mm to make the slabs fit.
Thanks WP, started today and that's exactly what I did.
Saxon are pretty good size-wise, that is, they are consistent, although you will find they are not square - rectangular in fact.
Spot on, I measured the 600 x 600s and there is about 1-2mm difference so they are actually 597 x 595 approx :rolleyes:
And you thought it'd be easy! That's why we make our money!
I thought it was fairly easy, I laid 16 slabs today but then lifted the last eight to re-lay tomorrow - level this time I hope :confused: :) I bet you are fully worth what you make:cool:

Have fun!
NOT :confused: :oops:

Thanks
Jim

another thing when laying is dont just use the 6 inch eye, use the 6 feet eye as well. In other words when you are down laying them, it is easy to get caught up in 3-4mm differences, when you are looking at them from that distance away. Stand up every now and then and look at them from that perspective. Paving slabs are not designed to be laid at extremly tight tolerances, they are an external product.

I quite agree - if it looks right it often IS right, even though a spirit level or straight edge might indicate otherwise.

Thank you both for your good advice. I have finished laying except for two to cut at the diagonal step onto decking. I'm going to try it with a 110mm grinder with diamond blade. Hope it works out as I've not done this before.

Then it's pointing:cool: I intend masking all the edges with 4 inch masking tape to keep the mess to a minimum and I'll use a moist mortar mix. Has anyone tried this method :rolleyes: I'll let you know how it works out - unless I get alternative suggestions before I start pointing.

Thanks again
Jim

PS will mortar mix using sharp sand and ordinary cement be OK for colour with Saxon Mocha?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back