Advice required for wood floor over concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the early stages of planning a wood floor for my hallway and downstairs cloakroom. I have done some research but have some unanswered questions, so would appreciate the help.

The hallway is a maximum of 2m wide and narrows to 1m wide when the stairs start. The maximum length is 5m from the front door to the door at the end of the hall. The minimum is 2m from door to stairs. The cloakroom is off the hall and is 1m square.

The house is 15 years old and the floor in concrete with thin marley tiles. I think the floor construction is suspended beam with concrete screed.

1. Can I use a floating floor with DPM and cushion underlay or can I glue to the floor? Is there a strong preference for either or do I go for manufacturers’ recommendation and my personal preference. Does the narrow hall width allow for floating anyway?

2. I would like solid wood such as oak, but given the floor is concrete would engineered boards with a solid wood layer be a better option? I don't want laminate.

3.The first stair riser as a wood bullnose currently covered by carpet. If I leave the usual expansion gap is there a good technique for hiding the gap between the bullnose and the wood?

4. I am planning to rip up the marley tiles, since I assume some will be broken or damaged and screed the whole floor. Is this a wise step?

5. I want to have a quoire mat at the front door to keep the dirt down. Is there a good way of transitioning from the wood to the mat?

Many thanks,

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back