Advice Required R.E. Electric & Gas Meters

T

Taiguin

Hey,

I've just had a homebuyers done and in it they mention a requirement for the Electricity Meter & Gas Meter to be in seperate locations. At present they are in the same cupboard, albeit on seperate sides (approx 1m apart). I've been scouring through BS 7671 but can't find a definative answer as to whether this is a requirement or not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
I don't think so. All I can recall is that gas pipes and electricity cables must be separated by 50mm (I think) OR the cables run in trunking/conduit

SB

It was built in 1935.

As for the spacing...thats all i found too sparkybird. They say in the report that if they are in the same cupboard they need to be seperated by a fire resistant partition.... all sounds bolony to me but wanted some advice and something to hang my hat on!

Sponsored Links
Ask them to supply details of the regulation which requires this.

If they can't, demand your fee back coz they're obviously just making it up as they go along.

don't think they will be able to back this up with BS7671.

There are so many properties around like this. Including mine.

you're making a huge assumption there..
it may be a requirement of the gas regulations, not the electrical regulations.. like if the gas pipe is in a duct, the duct must be ventilated, and pipe through a wall should be sleeved etc..

1. Gas pipes and cables at least 50mm apart
2. Gas meter and consumer unit at least 150mm apart

Unless some non combustible partition between them.

Nothing to prevent them being in the same place. Loads of houses have them next to each other.

Coljack that's the question I was answering and I feel comfortable with my response.

sorry, my response wasn't aimed at yours.. it was aimed at the OP trying to find the reg in the BS7671 electrical regs..

if you're a gas man, can I have a gsa pipe run in a partition wall or do i need a vent in it to let any escaped gas to, well, escape the void?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back