Advice Wanted; Carpet under washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve got this really small utility room I’m building a diy riser in, to raise the washing machine up a little. The room has recently been carpeted and I’ve read online about being careful or cautious in case of any possible unforeseen leaks from the machine.

The carpet is underlaid and all glued down on to concrete floor and I’m wondering if I should put something over the carpet before laying down my wooden frame (riser) on top and fastening it to the brick walls? ….to protect the carpet from said leakage.

Would you do anything to protect here?
And if so, with what material? (Plastic dust sheet perhaps?)

The room is very cold, has no heating and I’m worried if I put a plastic layer over the top (or anything not breathable) it may accelerate or lead to carpet rot and mould that’s going to not be seen under & behind the riser. So questions, 1/ would you put anything down to protect the carpet under the riser frame? ..or 2/ would you put anything on top of the riser to protect and shield ‘it’ from any possible water/leaks that may reach it from the washer (or both?)

Linked photos show the room (ignore blue underlay in one shot), the silver carpet and wooden riser frame (mid-build). Seeking clarification re protections before I fasten it to the wall and finish it off. The top surface of the riser will be particle or ply board, painted with Dulux satinwood.

Sorry if I’ve not explained that particularly well. Any questions I’ll be happy to clarify of course. Thanks in advance for your advice

Attachments

• C96619DF-776C-42E4-B334-E0055DB4172D.jpeg
    C96619DF-776C-42E4-B334-E0055DB4172D.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 1211F104-91E6-4E7F-ABEC-5FA9615FB295.jpeg
    1211F104-91E6-4E7F-ABEC-5FA9615FB295.jpeg
    402.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think I'd ventilate the cavity

if the room has no heating, and contains a washing machine, I think it will get damp. I don't know if it has outside walls or any ventilation. You might add a small "pipe heater" which uses little electricity, mounted low down. I use one in my garage under some pipes, wired through an old fashioned room thermostat which has 15Amp contacts, I happened to have one (some of the modern electronic ones are 3A or less). I think it's a Drayton. I set it to 10C which is pretty cold, but well above freezing, and it will not turn on in summer. It gets no hotter than a teapot so will not start a fire. You can also get plug-in thermostats.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-...lar&cm_sp=managedredirect-_-hvac-_-tubeheater

Thanks for that @JohnD I’ll look into it. Don’t suppose you have any advice for the wood & top surface protection do you mate? And you definitely wouldnt put anything down between the carpet and frame, no?

Sponsored Links
18mm ply, or a cut piece of kitchen worktop, perhaps. Not plain chipboard as water spillage damages it.

Can i just paint the ply once laid @JohnD ? Or will it need some kind of protection, coating etc? Was wanting to just do it white with satinwood. And no protection or anything to do to the frame itself? None of the walls are external by the way.

Would you do anything to protect here?
And if so, with what material? (Plastic dust sheet perhaps?)

You can buy plastic drip trays for washing machines to sit in. As John suggests, that space will need ventilation, or the walls will rapidly suffer mould.

I don't think the drop trays will fit @Harry Bloomfield They're 70x70 from what I've seen and the riser is only 61 deep. Its been suggested I get a little pipe heater put in, but how would you suggest I ventilate? Doesn't all the heat and water get carried away through the exit pipe (which goes through 2 brick walls and into the drain outside)?

Not usually any 'steam' from a washing machine. There is no tumble dryer here either.

I just want to do whatever I can to stop the wood from rotting and the place going damp. Issue prevention :) So im open to all ideas where possible but pulling up the carpet is probably the one I can't do.

If bricks are breathable why would the suffer mould? Just curious? Again, no steam. Feel like im missing something here. Thank you for replying and taking the time to explain though!

but how would you suggest I ventilate? Doesn't all the heat and water get carried away through the exit pipe (which goes through 2 brick walls and into the drain outside)?

No, there will be some moisture escape, they are not fully sealed. I would want a fan in such a space, or leave a door or window open, to vent the moisture.

The room leads out to a 1.2m square hallway featuring the front door. Its pretty nippy down there (entrance to upper flat), so im guessing the air flow is reasonable due to poor insulation im guessing? And the door to the room with the washer in would be open 90% of the time anyway. Do you think this sounds okay, or still feel there's need for fans etc?

Last edited by a moderator:
The room leads out to a 1.2m square hallway featuring the front door. Its pretty nippy down there (entrance to upper flat), so im guessing the air flow is reasonable due to poor insulation im guessing? And the door to the room with the washer in would be open 90% of the time anyway. Do you think this sounds okay, or still feel there's need for fans etc?

The smaller the volume of the space and the colder the walls, the more likely that moisture will condense on those cold surfaces. You could always suck it and see how it worked out in practice, maybe add a fan if you found it needed one to combat the moisture.

I don't think the drop trays will fit @Harry Bloomfield They're 70x70 from what I've seen and the riser is only 61 deep.

You easily could botch something, if it might be a concern. Timber battens surrounding the base of the machine, with some heavy duty plastic sheet laid on top, under the machine. You can even buy machine leakage alarms to warn you of wet under a machine.

You can’t sit a washing machine on carpet it’s too unstable , even on a timber frame.
There no moisture emitted from washing machine in normal use so requires no ventilation or heating source .

Last edited:
you'll only see it in a cold room, but during a hot wash, steam comes out from the orifice where the powder drawer goes.

also, when you leave the door and drawer open to dry the machine after use, residual water dries out.

you'll only see it in a cold room, but during a hot wash, steam comes out from the orifice where the powder drawer goes.

also, when you leave the door and drawer open to dry the machine after use, residual water dries out.

Correct! And that moisture will condense out on any cold surfaces if allowed to remain in the space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back