Advice Wanted; Carpet under washing machine

you'll only see it in a cold room, but during a hot wash, steam comes out from the orifice where the powder drawer goes.

also, when you leave the door and drawer open to dry the machine after use, residual water dries out.
Even during a boil wash no steam is emitted from soap draw.The design of washing machines prevents this.

Sponsored Links
In which case, due to steam pressure, it would obviously explode.
No , the machine is not air tight but there is enough cold metal on the top of the drum and plastic fill corridor to condense the tiny amounts of moisture produced. A boil wash is rare these day and is not actually boiling .
Have our washing machine in a unheated utility room for last 20years without any condensation problems.

Sponsored Links
Update;

I coated the frame in Cuprinol, followed by some anti-damp/mould resistant paint around the base, so the frame should be pretty well protected. Bottom 2-3 layers of brick have also been coated with the anti-damp & mould resistant paint too.

Now for the ‘floor’, I’m wondering what to protect this with? It’s about 8mm plywood.

images here: https://imgur.com/a/JljOh7E

..show the frame in place, one side of the floor laid down, and there is to be a divider in the middle to frame the washing machine, with another section of floor to go on the opposite side. Should I paint the floors with the same anti damp anti mould paint? Cuprinol before or after? Spray-on polyurethane ? Something else? Once the floors are protected I’m thinking about adding a lip around the back & sides, silicon all edges (including of the ply) and then a section of rubber or anti-slip mat on top, under the machine itself.

further advice would be greatly appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back