Advice with DIY alarm Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice on a DIY alarm install and would appreciate any advice on brands and setup.

I live in a second floor flat with only my front door as a point of access. I'm guessing I wouldn't need any movement detectors or perhaps 1 in the hall as a backup to front door contact.

I'm quite happy hardwiring control panel into fused spur or back to consumer unit. Also door contact and movement detector could be either wired or wireless.
Bell box I would like to be completely wireless.

Any suggestions on a system that would fit my needs? Budget of £200-300

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Try looking at the Risco brand of products, especially their wireless kit. I would suggest a front door contact (for entry / exit purposes) supplemented with a vibration/shock sensor for attack attempts on the door, and a PIR in the hall if you felt it necessary. Their kit is totally wireless and reliable from my experiences.

You would however need to employ a registered electrician to install a 230v electrical supply to the control panel via a fused connection unit (spur) which should be appropriately tested and certified upon completion. I advise that any alarm wiring is undertaken to the control panel before the electrician energises the mains supply and closes the panel enclosure.

Thanks for the reply.
Ive looked at the risco alarms but the electrical supplier we use through work does not carry them. Was hoping to order parts through work to take advantage of the discounts they get.
Will take your advice on the shock sensor.

Have been thinking more about the wireless aspect and feel it would not be to much trouble to run a cable through the loft to external bell box.

Have you any experience with scantronic and texecom?

The models i was looking at were,

scantronic 9651 with 9943 RKP

texecom premier 24 panel with premier RKP

Both have proximity tag function which is very appealing to me.

No I've not used scantronic for donkeys years since I used to fit alarms professionally in the early 90's, they used to do a 9100 and 9200 panel with yellow keypads if I remember. They were good panels then but I can't help you on their latest products, I would also personally opt for a wired bell box every time. Texecom are also a reputable brand, I've used their bell boxes before but again can't advise you on their latest products as I don't fit alarms regularly anymore, I have had no problems with the Risco kit and would use this again without hesitation.

Good luck with it.

Sponsored Links
Decided to go for scantronic 9651 with 9943 RKP. Have ordered door contacts, shock sensor and a PIR.

Will be the first alarm I've installed so should keep me occupied on my days off and no doubt will be back with some questions.

Received all bits today, plan to fit on Monday so just having a read over instructions.

Few questions, CCL and FSL. I understand the principle of how both work but a little lost as to what would suit my needs better considering I have only 1 door contact, 1 shock sensor and 1 PIR.
I planned on using 3 lengths of 6 core cable from panel to each sensor and wiring tamper loop in series at panel. Is this the correct way to do this?

Received all bits today, plan to fit on Monday so just having a read over instructions.

Few questions, CCL and FSL. I understand the principle of how both work but a little lost as to what would suit my needs better considering I have only 1 door contact, 1 shock sensor and 1 PIR.
I planned on using 3 lengths of 6 core cable from panel to each sensor and wiring global tamper loop in series at panel. Is this the correct way to do this?

Another question would be is it possible to set up alarm and test for a few days without bell box being connected? Would like a bit of time to test system out and make sure im completely happy without making any external noise.

Thanks

I planned on using 3 lengths of 6 core cable from panel to each sensor and wiring global tamper loop in series at panel. Is this the correct way to do this?

Another question would be is it possible to set up alarm and test for a few days without bell box being connected? Would like a bit of time to test system out and make sure im completely happy without making any external noise.

Thanks

yes, that is the correct way to do it. regarding not connect the sounder, that is possible though the tamper will have to be linked out so the alarm will work normally. to do this fit a link between the tamper and hold off neg. once you're happy that alarm is working properley you can fit the bell...one word of caution, wire the bell first before connecting into the panel to pevent accidently blowing the bell fuse. if you live on the second floor than the equipment you have is more than adequate, tho if you are fitting the shock sensor on the front door then it is advisable to programme it as entry/exit to prevent the the alarm going off when you enter.

Hi John D. I was asking myself that very question "What makes you say that?" when I read the post. You know your stuff otherwise you wouldn't have asked the question. He probably means that an electrician is needed if there is a direct line from the consumer unit to the panel, I hope !!! As far as part P is concerned he can run a spur off a ringmain himself without the need for an electrician. Funny old reg that though. You can kill yourself in the lounge but not in the kitchen... only joking !!!

Everybody ignores the regs anyway.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think you'd be surprised by the number of "quallified" electricians who talk regs, talk part P, or talk the talk and so on, but rarely put their words into practise. Please tell me you are not in their category.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back