Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , I work as an electrician for a firm however a builder friend of the family has asked me to look at a large amount of work that he would like me to do.. In situations like this is it worth joining for example Elecsa which then enables me to do the work and authorise the work , do the work and a have a self employed friend who trusts my work to test and sign off or submit details to building control and pay there fees ??

Sponsored Links
In that case I don't think the builder would be too pleased with paying the LABC fees for each job.

If you already have the necessary tools and equipment (or can 'borrow' them from work - you will need to record the serial numbers on certificates) then Elecsa (450 ish p.a.) and insurance (not that much) may be worthwhile.

If your friend is registered then could you involve him in the work and you could work for him?
It's not a very good idea just to get him 'in to test'. I think that could/would lead to trouble.

Or - just do without a holiday this year and not do the work.

Sponsored Links
Does the work the builder is doing already need LABC fees paying if so then to include your bit may not cost.

There is also exempt work one firm I know does nothing but fit disabled stuff so no point in paying to join a scheme when LABC is free.

Hi all , I work as an electrician for a firm however a builder friend of the family has asked me to look at a large amount of work that he would like me to do.. In situations like this is it worth joining for example Elecsa which then enables me to do the work and authorise the work , do the work and a have a self employed friend who trusts my work to test and sign off or submit details to building control and pay there fees ??
Would there be any conflict of interest between your private work and the work your employer does?

Would there be any conflict of interest between your private work and the work your employer does?

no , the firm I work for do industrial, commercial , retail ... we keep away from domestic work as 'we aren't quick enough' lol

Just to add this work is in the builders house for him its not for a job that he is doing..

Just to add this work is in the builders house for him its not for a job that he is doing..
Perhaps, then, the builder may be able to notify everything at once and get away with one fee.

I don't know if there is a time limit, to complete the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back