Advise on hanging something from rafters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

Ive got a plane simulator in my loft area and I need to fit an overhead panel above where I sit at the computer.

The overhead panel will be approx 670 x 718 x 125 mm and weight about 15kg.

It has fixing on the sides or on the back of the panel where I can screw it to something.

I need to get something to fix to my rafters that hangs down and fixes to the panel. I was thinking a metal strips of some sort with holes in which I can screw into the panel using the hole which gives me the best height of the panel.

Do you have any ideas or exactly what I should use or any other suggestions.

Is there a certain thickness of metal i would need? I'm guessing I will have 4 of these.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Hi

The drop is about 700mm so thinking the restraint straps will be best

I have another quick question:-

Where I need to hang the device it's about 1" offset to the left of the rafter.

Which of the following should I do to overcome this:-

1. screw a 1" piece of wood to the inside of the rafter and then screw the strap to that piece of wood?

2. Pack the strap out with a couple of bolts to hold it 1" away from the rafter?

3. Fix the strap to the rafter but bend the strap outwards at the top and then bend at the bottom to get it flush again but giving me the required offset?

4. Something else.. if so what?

I'm looking for the strongest easiest option to overcome these corrections. I think I'm going to have the same on the other side however it maybe a couple of inches out. However this one is going to a corner rafter at 45deg so may need a bigger bend or block of wood to fix it to.

I can't move the overhead panel as everything else is fixed down where it needs to be so I need to get the overhead panel position to that.

Let me know what you think is best?

Thanks

Blocking between the rafters:
82322d1422580124-48-spaced-wood-rafters-blocking.jpg

Fix the straps to the blocking.
And hang gasbanni from the blocking ;)

Back