Fitting recessed downlights to some form of panel, help pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have an odd room at my premises where some donwlights need fitting. I briefly mentioned this problem before but thought id explain in more details

Basically the room is triangular and the ceiling joists are at an angle hence you cant really pattern out recessed lights nicely. I.e. they would have to be placed randomly and worst of all stud detection is very hard in this part o the building for some reason

Now I have seen in various commercial premises these trendy panels. Basically they are hanging off the ceiling by around 2 inch and have recessed lights fixed to them. To me they look like 12mm mdf panels with the recessed lights fixed into these panels and then the panels hooked to the ceilin via chain/hook method

However the typical properties of MDF i.e. its weight tells me that it cant be mdf or they have some really good fixing method where the panel is solidly fixed.

I really need a solution here guys, and also if you guys can please recommend how to hang the panel you recommend off the ceiling. i.e. do i need to pre drill holes first and screw the hooks in on both ends first or what..

cheers

Sponsored Links
This type of idea guys but I dont want the panel to be so thick and neither do i want it to be hanging so far off the ceiling, only by say 2-3 inch max

capgemini.jpg

Sponsored Links
In the past I have seen,plastic, perspex, wood, metal and glass all used.

As per your other post.
It is the lamp type and wattage,regarding the heat factor, that decides I suppose.

For the panel, I would consider something constructed using similar methods used for cheap and cheerful panel doors - thin ply bonded to a lightweight wooden frame.
Say, 3 or 5mm plywood on 25 X 10 mm framing fitted together like an eggbox or honeycomb at about 200-300mm spacing. Fit the framing far enough from the edges that it isn't visible from below.

It would be much lighter, and less likely to warp or sag than a big chunk of MDF. A single skin would probably suffice, but a skin on the top would make it even more rigid.

Reinforce around the lamp cutouts with a 'washer' cut from a scrap of ply.

Rocky I have considered perspex to be honest but the problem is the heat may discolour or rearrange the panel.

The recessed lights are the small gu10 type but have been converted to mains wiring so take bright MR16 bulbs, 10 lights in total.

Tickly, your method is what I was thinking of last night. I also had another idea which is that i deal closely with a lighting company and was thinking of getting them to make me the panel with folded edges, similar to how light boxes are made but smaller. Then fix the lights to this, what do you think?

Also how would i hook this to a ceiling discretely? i.e. cables or chains not being too visible

via access from the floor above, which will allow you to either use the floor joists or add noggins between the floor joists.

Chain will allow the panel to float and maybe move if windows allow a suit breeze to do so.

I'd be inclined to use M6 stud with nice round cap nuts to finish it off

Chris, there isnt a floor above. This is the top floor ceiling we are dealing with.

If i was to go down the route of aluminimum box, i could get the guys to add some brackets centrally so that the box can be firmly fixed in place

Just been back from my signage company and was looking at an aluminium box, damn it seemed heavier than i thought.

I really need some help guys as i am stuck now

I need to get some form of a panel or box up

What about using 100x50 wood or thicker ,to make a square frame and fix it to the existing ceiling then fix your board to that.
Overhang the edges if desired.

Or use studding, sleeved with a peice of chrome pole to look better, underneath use chrome threaded or plastic screw on balls rather than nuts

Either way it really needs to fix to the joists or noggins somehow.

You may get better ideas to fix it on other parts of the site, as it is not really electrical,that bit.

O that wont be a problem as I have a strict policy at my work place of cleaning and dusting everything by end of the week

thanks for those links. I dont think the first link will help much as no seems to have replied to any threads in recent times.

I am looking at 18mm foamex but believe it may be too heavy to hang up

What about using 100x50 wood or thicker ,to make a square frame and fix it to the existing ceiling then fix your board to that.
Overhang the edges if desired.

Or use studding, sleeved with a peice of chrome pole to look better, underneath use chrome threaded or plastic screw on balls rather than nuts

Either way it really needs to fix to the joists or noggins somehow.

You may get better ideas to fix it on other parts of the site, as it is not really electrical,that bit.

Rocky its a problem with weight when it comes to thicker materials otherwise i have been looking at MDF etc but when I go too thick the material becomes waaaay too heavy

However i am wondering whether I am over estimating the size of the panel required

I have 10 small recessed lights. I can reduce these to 8 if I really have to but I want them to be layed out in two rows of 5s or 4s depending on whether im usin 10 lights or 8.

Now If you guys were to plan out say 8 recessed lights, what size panel would you guys use. I have been working it out as 11ft x 3ft for 10 lights and 9ft x 3ft for 8 lights

The way i am working this out is 1ft distance between lights and 1ft perimeter.

Do you think I have got this right guys?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back