Fitting recessed wall lamps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have wall lights which came with brackets designed to be screwed from the side. However I want to fit these recessed into the plaster, so that the front plate is flush with the surface of the wall (i.e. NOT like this: https://secure.img2-ag.wfcdn.com/im...2887/28878255/Swing+Arm+1+Light+Wall+Lamp.jpg). I think I need a solution where the lamp slides in at an angle and is then locked by rotating into place. I can visualise what the required wall fixings would look like (quite simple really) but have no idea what to search for online. Is anything like this available?

Sponsored Links
If it's the EXACT fitting in the image, then you'd have to cut an L shaped hole where the screw hole is and then twist it on but it's hardly ideal. You'd have to get the screws exactly the right tightness.

Or you forget the bracket entirely and drill two fixing holes in the front, then find some decorative brass head screws and just fix through the front

I need something like in this sketch. Surely some kind of bracket like this exists that I can buy? Smoke alarms use a similar fixing method.

Attachments

• fixing.png
    fixing.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 145
I'll be honest, that sketch has just confused me. Which side is the wall? And a link/picture of the actual light might help

Sponsored Links
Yes here is the picture which is similar to my lamp:

https://secure.img2-ag.wfcdn.com/im...2887/28878255/Swing+Arm+1+Light+Wall+Lamp.jpg

Not exactly this model, but it does have the same structure at the back with a cylindrical housing (which I want to hide) and a flat façade plate (which I want flush with the wall).

My sketch is looking at the wall (white background = wall). The square bracket is part of the lamp. The screws/bolts would be fixed to this bracket somehow (maybe with nuts). Once attached to the bracket (and lamp, not shown), the screws/bolt heads would be inserted through the holes in the circular plate, and the whole assembly twisted so that the narrower slots hold the screws/bolts in place. I am trying to get hold of something functionally similar to this circular mounting plate.

Iggifer: I didn't understand your 'L shaped hole' suggestion but I do now. I think this would work for my application. However, in more general terms I'm still interested where I could obtain 'twist' fixings for other uses. I can't help thinking that there is some specific name for them or way of describing which is eluding me, and this is frustrating my searches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back