Suggestions on how to install these lights, please help

As you said you were unsure where the joists were, i would make a smaller hole in the centre first to make sure it is clear above , before steaming in with the padsaw.

Sponsored Links
O no rocky i mentioned that for another part of the room where i no longer am going to fix the lights to the ceiling. Instead for that part of the premises im going to use the MDF to fix the lights to and hang that off the ceiling.

So predominately the premises are having recessed lights in the ceiling which consists of plasterboard

The one area where i couldnt locate joists is where im going to use MDF

If your sure nothing above, I would mark it like rf says,or with a compass and use a jigsaw with fine blade, may be a bit dusty though

yeh I was wondering whether a jigsaw would do the job to be honest but so far no one has mentioned it so thought maybe not

Sponsored Links
a jigsaw will do it, but it will make more mess, and also damage the paint finish of the ceiling if it is already decorated.

There is also a risk of cutting through pipes / cables with a jigsaw as you will not feel them like you can with a padsaw.

A jigsaw would be the last option for me, it's just a little too brutal.

I normally use a long uninsulated terminal driver and prod into the area I'm going to cut out at various points to ensure my marking out hadn't gone adrift somewhere.

Yes sorry
A jigsaw would be my last choice normally, and only if 100% sure nothing was above, including no insulation.

I read it as a new ceiling so you were sure nothing was above, and it was so new it was yet to be decorated,

I would still prefer to stab a hole like gary said, cut a smaller hole by hand first to inspect, before enlarging it by hand.

In plasterboard it should not be too hard.

you defo got it correct, it undecorated with nothing above i.e. no insulation, no wiring or pipes

just noticed you brought a fatmax, try that I think you will find it easy,the extra time it takes you will save not having to clean up after the jigsaw.

but im just wondering whether that saw ive got would allow me to saw in curves, if not i might as well return it and get the one from b and q

Gary I was stuck between the two saws where my mind was saying the B&Q one would be better yet my heart felt that your recommendation of keeping the Fat Max was better. Likewise for some reason i went with my heart and got was it the right decision. The Fat Max compass saw was awesome, i cut such neat holes I cant wait to show them off. Shall upload the pics tomorrow lol

Took me around half hour to do 8 perfect circles

A padsaw will allow you to cut out circles despite having a straight blade. The more practice you have the neater they will be.

yeh i got carried away, started cutting all kinds of shapes in spare plasterboard sheets lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back