Aerial query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Recently fitted a new aerial in the loft with a 4way distribution built in, and came with a masthead amp which plugs in to any of the outlets . http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLX-4-ROOM-DI...t=UK_ConElec_TVAerials_RL&hash=item415167e554

Now I set it to roughly where other aerials are pointing (no previous aerial in the house). It point straight through the roof tiles only and not through brick walls. I scanned for channels. I pick up 3 TV channels and about 20 Freeview channels. The picture quality on the tv channels is rubbish, but the freeview channels I receive are clear.

I dont get all tv channels all all available freeview channels. Could this be all down to the setting of the aerial.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
There is an FAQ document on another well known forum (linked closely with what your query is about) that might help you out.

I wont link to it, because that would be unfair on this site. But if nobody here is able to help, I suggest you could look there.

First things first anyone who says an aerial is "Suitable for all signal strength areas" is either lying or incompetant.

Now thats out of the way that aerial comes with an amplifier so make sure the power supply is correctly connected to it and powered on. An amplifier without power will cause massive signal loss.

Nex you need to look up what transmitter you should be pointing at (other peoples aerials may not be pointing at the optimal transmitter) and whether it still offers analog service (if your transmitter doesn't offer analog service that would explain why the only analog signals you are picking up are very weak). Also get a signal strength meter if you don't already have one.

P.S. Freeview like many digital systems fails pretty suddenly and due to variations in signal and noise levels you can easilly end up with a system that gives crystal clear picture most of the time but freezes up every few hours. Highly annoying and very difficult to troubleshoot when this happens.

First things first anyone who says an aerial is "Suitable for all signal strength areas" is either lying or incompetant.

Now thats out of the way that aerial comes with an amplifier so make sure the power supply is correctly connected to it and powered on. An amplifier without power will cause massive signal loss.

Nex you need to look up what transmitter you should be pointing at (other peoples aerials may not be pointing at the optimal transmitter) and whether it still offers analog service (if your transmitter doesn't offer analog service that would explain why the only analog signals you are picking up are very weak). Also get a signal strength meter if you don't already have one.

P.S. Freeview like many digital systems fails pretty suddenly and due to variations in signal and noise levels you can easilly end up with a system that gives crystal clear picture most of the time but freezes up every few hours. Highly annoying and very difficult to troubleshoot when this happens.

Hi

Thanks for your reply

I've just got a signal meter and tried it on an outlet Rwith no LEDs on. I will get up into the loft to adjust it corrrectly and post back

Is it best to put amp in series with the input or just on any output as

Km hoping the setup will work fine

Sponsored Links
That aerial already comes with an amplifier attatched to it providing the four outputs. The seperate box with two sockets is the power injector. You need to figure out how to connect this to the amplifier if you have not already (hopefully there should either be instructions supplied or some markings on the devices). Post clouseup photos of all the bits (make sure text is readable) if you are unsure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back