Aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I am just wondering. I am installing a tv in my bedroom, but want to connect to the aerial on my roof to get a good picture. I was thinking of breaking in to my existing aerial that runs downstairs with a Y adaptor. The problem is there are some aerial cables more expensive than others. There was some £4.55 for 10 metres or some £50.00 for a metre (this had gold plated ends). Will there be that much difference in reception. Is it worth paying that extra money.

Cheers,
Simon.

Sponsored Links
s.waring3578 said:
Hi There,

I am just wondering. I am installing a tv in my bedroom, but want to connect to the aerial on my roof to get a good picture. I was thinking of breaking in to my existing aerial that runs downstairs with a Y adaptor. The problem is there are some aerial cables more expensive than others. There was some £4.55 for 10 metres or some £50.00 for a metre (this had gold plated ends). Will there be that much difference in reception. Is it worth paying that extra money.

Cheers,
Simon.

In theory, yes there will be a difference and you may notice it but is it worth the cost. If you're going to use a £2 Y connector then theres no point using expensive cable.

The reception wont be as good as it was before you put the splitter in unless you put a powered booster and splitter in. There are some really good indoor aerials these days, some even fit behind pictures, it may be worth considering one of these rather than going for the splitter etc.

Each time you cut and join a cable you weaken the signal. Try running your new cable to the aerial rather than cutting the existing cable, then if/when you change your mind the original cable will be undamaged.

While you're up there look at the size and age of the old aerial, then if your parallel connection doesn't work well enough, you can consider whether to buy an extra aerial, or an amplifier that enables you to connect several TVs.

I find the little set-top aerials will only work if you've got quite a good signal; and if you've got quite a good signal your loft aerial will probably support 2 TVs.

edited to say, my mistake, it's on the roof, you say

So it would be a lot of trouble to run a new cable up there... and you might fall off your ladder!

Sponsored Links
Its usually screwed, why dont you buy a 2 way amplifier cut exsisting lead that goes to input, then output of to your tvs, you will need a power supply, no picture loss. proper job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back