Aerial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just connected my upstairs television to the an aerial in the loft and I'm getting a terrible picture. I am using the brown coaxial cable to do this. The tv downstairs uses an aerial on the roof. Do you think if I use proper digital coaxial with a gold f joint I will get a better picture when linking to the aerial in the loft, or do I need to get a man in to connect it to the roof aerial.

Sponsored Links
Roof aerial is there because loft aerial gets poor signal

doesn't look like .
images
this does it?

why cant you T into the roof cable (may need a signal amp, but try it and see

Sponsored Links
You can indeed connect two cables to one aerial. if you look in maplin or rs you can buy a y splitter and the cable ends for coppers.

Dont waste time on Y splitter, get an amp. Look at argos all the diy shops stock them. You will need a power supply.

Would a satellite dish (sky dish) recieve better reception than a good aerial on the roof. Would the satellite dish receive freeview.

hard to say really, no honest it is.

In theory it is supposed to be better, but if anything gets into line of site between the dish and satelite its a teriible signal, we had scaffholiding in the way for a couple of weeks.

call sky and find out

s.waring3578 said:
Well would it recieve a better reception for normal programs?
breezer said:
hard to say really, no honest it is.

In theory it is supposed to be better, but if anything gets into line of site between the dish and satelite its a teriible signal, we had scaffholiding in the way for a couple of weeks.

call sky and find out
i think he means to use a satellite dish for recieving tv from terrestrial transmitters, back down on earth!

One flaw with this is that satellites require line of sight to operate - this works fine when you are pointing at something in space, but you're going to need a pretty damn tall mast to mount that dish on for terrestrial signals, unless you live next door to the transmitter! ;)

Well even though my Dad had sky for a few months, he has since cancelled subscription to sky and he still recieves channels 1 to 5 with a clear picture. Basically I am trying to find a way round getting a reception for my tv upstairs without getting up on the roof and connecting cable to aerial. My downstairs tele has a good picture, but the upstairs tele runs from a aerial in the loft which is crap reception.

Any ideas.

as i said before, tap into the aerial on the roof cable, you may need a signal amp. i never mentioned going on the roof did i?

Trouble is that these need to be plugged in and because my tele is wall mounted in my bedroom there are no sockets close to the tv.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back