Aerogel insulation mats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone used aerogel insulation mats before as a thinner alternative to PIR insulation boards?

I have a steel column which I’m considering insulating to prevent thermal bridging, however as I cant use PIR as it’s too big, I could try wrapping it up in an aerogel sheet/blanket.

Something like this - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/323096500523

As aerogel is fireproof(logically considering it can prevent the space shuttle from going down like a fireball) surely this also meets the fireproofing requirements ;D

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've used 2L2 a few times in this situation

On a serious note, did you completely wrap it up, wrap the inside or wrap the outside?

Assuming if I only wrap the inside, I need to consider thermal bridging to the UB, and then wrap that up too. Hmm, seems inside wrapping seems to be a bad idea.

Sponsored Links
Generally it's better to keep the building structure warm rather than cold as it lowers the risk of condensation. But beams can be complicated to deal with.

I've only ever wrapped the outside, because the inside was er well inside! But then I don't really understand the details of your design/proposals.

I've only ever wrapped the outside, because the inside was er well inside! But then I don't really understand the details of your design/proposals.

Just so we are on the same page, I assume you mean have the insulation wrapped on the exterior side of the beam (then brick or blocked up), as opposed to having the insulation on the interior side of the beam, (then plasterboarded). If so, I believe this is related to John D’s statement about keeping the structure warm, in this case, try to keep the beam warm.

I would hazard it's a poor design if you've not enough gap left in the cavity that some PIR won't fit.

The SE has aimed to put the column as far as he can into the wall so that it’s flush. It’s designed to be 100mm brick outer layer, 203 beam = 300mm ish in total. The cavity wall of 300mm is then built off this.

I was then planning to put 75mm pir on the internal solid wall on the other side of the column.

Then it hit me; I had IWI | beam | insulated cavity wall... “what to do about preventing heat loss here”...

I’ve used aerogel, mainly as an experiment.

Its main benefit compared to PIR or phenolic boards is that it can allow moisture through. So in a sutuation where you need that and would otherwise be limitted to mineral wool, aerogel might be useful. If you don’t need that, it is really not massively better than Kooltherm and crazy-expensive.

Proctor Group used to sell smallish pieces from an eBay store. They seem to have stopped doing that for some reason.

If you really need a super-insulator and have deep pockets, consider vacuum panels. They seem better priced than aerogel, and are better insulators too. Main issue is that they are obviously quite fragile. Have a look at Insulation Superstore: https://www.insulationsuperstore.co.../vacuum-insulated-panels/brand/vacutherm.html

Problem is, I dont have deep pockets. When I have the cash I’ll get EWI done and that steel won’t be a problem.

But in the mean time I’m looking for something to lessen the impact of thermal bridging.

I can get a roll of spacetherm that’s enough to cover the column for £100. Or maybe just a thin foil that I can wrap around it. Or maybe put PIR in between the webbing.

Mine cane frim A Proctor. At the time they were selling small bits on ebay.

Ah, yeh, I can’t find them anymore. Ebay ones are generic mats from China now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back