Underlay and engineered wood floor questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I've been directed here a few times, now I've joined
I have just purchased some 15mm engineered oak flooring, and I'm looking to purchase some self adhesive underlay to make fitting easier.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/190770365716

I have a couple of questions I am stuck on. A friend advised me that i should lay the underlay so that it comes up the wall and folds under the new skirting board being fitted, so the flooring never comes into contact with the walls or skirts?
Then finish it off with some acoustic sealant from skirt to floor.
Is this correct, as I can't find and reference to this method on Google.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I've never used that stuff, so can't comment on it, but unless you are trying to sound insulate the floor, then your friends advice is overkill. Is this a first floor flat, or a bedroom.

But even if you are trying to soundproof, then you shouldn't need to come up the walls and under the skirting board. But is that underlay glued to the floor, or is it the type that you glue the boards to - there is a difference.

I use 5mm fibreboard for insulation and acoustic properties, and then apply glue to the tongue, and push in to the groove, and tap it in with a piece of wood to stop any damage to boards.

OK, thanks for the swift reply.
Its a ground floor living room in my semi detached house.
The type I am planning to use, is the sticky side up underlay, so it's loose on the floor, but holds the boards down and together. It is meant to reduce the need for glueing down the length too. You still glue the ends, but it allows you to walk on it straight away, without having to worry about moving the floor before the glue sets.

Sponsored Links
Ahh, you're worrying about the wrong things Rob. You can get 5 minute set glue, but as you're working from the far side of the room, it's setting as you go, so even if it takes half an hour, you still wouldn't be walking on it. But if you're using fibreboard, then unlike foam type underlay, this is fairly solid, and will support the floor and keep the joint stable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back