Affixing to concrete walls

R

richard7761

I live in a house where the main walls are concrete. Pebbles loosely covered with cement. Built in 1958.

Anyway, I'm going to have my boiler repositioned. And I want to be sure it's safely held.

I think the best way is to chisel out some concrete where the boiler-holding-bracket fixing screws are going to be and fill with cement. Then I can drill into that cement.

Is there any "proper way" of doing this job?

Boiler is quite heavy. I estimate about 45Kg or 100lbs

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
All that will happen (unless the masonry plugs are substantial enough) is that they will pull out.

You are better off fixing a ply backer to the wall then fix to the backer.

You can supplement the fixings with adhesive. Plus it will multiply your fixing opportunities.

You see the problem is that you cannot drill this concrete with regular masonry drill wall for rawlplugs. Because the drill goes everywhere.

The original fixers must have used a star chisel or jumper and got away with it.

I don't want to use a star chisel, but drill straight into the wall.

Only way I can think of is:

* gouge out concrete and fill with cement.

* use a diamond drill that cuts through pebble.

Not sure which would be best.

If I could identify a diamond drill bit that is 8mm diameter and drills through concrete walls to a depth of say 50mm , that might be my best option.

Sponsored Links
Is it a Wimpey 'no-fines' house?
They are difficult to work with as you end up with a hole 10 x as big as you want.
Can you fill any over-sized hole with resin and set the fixings in that?
If you try to fill an over-sized hole with mortar or concrete, the filling material may shrink slightly and work loose.

Is it a Wimpey 'no-fines' house?
They are difficult to work with as you end up with a hole 10 x as big as you want.
Can you fill any over-sized hole with resin and set the fixings in that?
If you try to fill an over-sized hole with mortar or concrete, the filling material may shrink slightly and work loose.

It is a No Fines type. Built in 1958. I'm in West Yorkshire.

Shown is the concrete. Note the air gaps. Practically all pebble.

Would a form of resin be better than cement to fill in?

The plate bracket for the boiler is 44Cm x 5.4Cm. I've marked out for a hole 56Cm x 18Cm. I'd chisel the hole about 10Cm deep. That's my idea. Then fill in. And drill that.

May need a type of resin? Anyone know of a suitable resin?

Maybe chisel out to the depth of a wood board. Use resin to affix board. Screw into board to affix boiler bracket. Works if resin holds wood board firmly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back