After Removing Render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently purchased a property that currently is rendered I would like to remove the render but due to the duration that the render has been on for am interested to know if i will need to treat the bricks i will more than likely have to get the brik work re-pointed but am unsure if the bricks will be ok left to weather.

Sponsored Links
In every case I've ever seen the brickwork has either been keyed with a scutching hammer or the brick faces get damaged in the removal .

Good luck - but I don't like your chances.

I would defo leave it where it is, sort out any holes or cracks and get it painted with a good masonry paint

take a look on you tube and visit decopierre....

I think by now we get the message. To my mind, anyway, your adverts are getting a little tedious.

The other two posters have been helpful in their replies, based on their experience of different jobs.

Can you actually give this person any advice on how to prep his walls ?

Sponsored Links
take a look on you tube and visit decopierre....

I think by now we get the message. To my mind, anyway, your adverts are getting a little tedious.

The other two posters have been helpful in their replies, based on their experience of different jobs.

Can you actually give this person any advice on how to prep his walls ?

:cool: :LOL:

Well said Micilin.....Good to see you here again mate,you've been away for a week or two.Seasons Greetings to you.

Roughcaster.

Someone had the wall rendered because it was probably a complete mess underneath. I would expect the wall to be bad and you are 'probably' setting yourself up for A LONG HAUL. Consider other alternative like re-rendering it. Some 'altenatives' are so new that even those in the trade have no idea they exist, and will be slightly put out that there is a new concept on the block.

Unlike others in this forum, I feel that those 'in the know' should let you guys into a few secrets. Namely that there are always alternatives. Even if 'they' do not like it. where else will you find out?
Good luck and remember only take advise from an expert that knows HIS product .... do not ask me anything about quantum physics.... it's no good.... can't be cos I don't do that! :) :D

Hi all, this is my first post here and a very good site this is turning out to be. Thanks to all who take their time to post replies and offers of advice.
I have beaten Brumguy to it and removed the render from my house, which was applied years ago. The quality of work was very good and this left the brickwork underneath quiet scarred. It did however, make such a difference to the appearance of the house. The hard work is worth it!!
What I would like to know is this: can I apply DIY tyrolene directly to the brickwork after repointing it? I am obviuosly very wary about re-rendering, and I am also reluctant to paint onto the brickwork direct because I have had a window replaced with blocks and this would obviously show through.
Any suggestions on this would be very much appreciated and thanks again for your time and effort.

Happy New Year all!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back