Crumbling brick under render with pic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I've searched this and have found conflicting info.

I am removing old render ready for a new silicone render system.

Anyway, after removing some damaged render (from ivy) I am left with several bricks which are crumbling, the ivy had grown up the mortor joints too.

Now as this is getting rendered can I just repoint and put a scratch type coat over all the damaged bricks?

Or will I need to replace the damaged brick?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20160714_191813.jpg
    20160714_191813.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 279
Sponsored Links
Since you are re-rendering have you thought about external wall insulation?

If you are going to re-render with the correct 3:1(4:1) sand & lime render then just dub out the patchy bricks before doing your scratch coat. TBH, it looks OK to scratch and render no pointing or dubbing needed but thats a site call.
Galv. nail some metal mesh over the crack.

Sponsored Links
Not necessarily, if the rendering is done correctly. Exposed metal bead is the most prone to rusting.
The OP presents as a competent person so I didn't offer such details as SS mesh etc. I presumed he already knows about these things.

However, you have a point but its the OP's call if he wants to do anything about the crack.

It's very unusual to find ss eml used unless it's speced by someone with money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back