Against Regs - So What Happens Now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I moved into a new build a few weeks ago. Built by a local builder as a one-off. Alarm bells started to ring on day one when none of the TV points worked and the wiring of them could have been done by a 5-year old more neatly. Bathroom lights would go out whilst having a shower and the extractor fan wouldn't go off unless using the isolator switch.

To cut a long story short, the builder agreed to me getting an independent inspection done at his expense. I had a DEICR done by a local reputable firm and low and behold it failed - 'Unsatisfactory'. The builder has now authorised the same firm to carry out the remedial work.

One of the things it failed on was the location and height of the consumer unit. It is over 2-metres off the ground and can only be got at by getting on a pair of steps, emptying a cupboard and removing one of the shelves. Does it mean I am going to have to have my utility room fitted units taken apart to shift it or can it stay where it is? Shouldn't building control have spotted something like this or do they just get the electrical installation certificate and say "That'll do".

How are Regs enforced?

Sponsored Links
It’s a bit of a tricky one. The position of the consumer unit does not comply with building regulations rather than electrical regulations.

If you are unhappy with its current location then I’d say you’re well within your rights to insist it is moved and if this means some removal and making good of the utility room then so be it.

Assuming all the work has been signed off by the BCO, I’d be questioning them how this was allowed to happen.

The electrical regulations BS 7671 are not law, some parts are law, but not the whole book, there are 4 bits of paper.
1) Minor works certificate your unlikely to have one of them.
2) Installation certificate, this is completed by the guy in control doing the work, no one else can write it, not required by law.
3) Completion certificate this is issued by the county council and is an either or situation.
4) Compliance certificate is the other method instead of the completion certificate.
If you have a compliance certificate then the scheme provider should police it, if you have a completion certificate then the LABC should police it.

I did some work needing a completion certificate and I took the installation certificate to the county council and the completion certificate arrived in the post, no one looked at the work, it was in real terms no more than a tax. In theory the LABC inspector should inspect, but the Part's of the building regulations are published as approved documents, but the LABC can allow people to do some thing in theory not permitted.

For example the German sockets are not permitted under BS 7671 but a German who was flitting between UK and German could ask for German sockets in his house and the LABC inspector could say yes. Years ago it was common to fit consumer units under the stairs, and level with ceiling both now frowned on, but as to if law, that's another question.

Thanks guys. I think I shall be call LBC today and ask the question. I suppose they will blame COVID, it gets the blame for everything at the moment.
All the windows and doors apparently came from Poland and all that was signed off by LBC. I have no idea if they are compliant either.
Don't get me started on the heating system; I have a great Viessmann boiler that has a Polish wi-fi system bolted on that has no instruction manual.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back