So i've installed a new outdoor socket!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a new IP66 outdoor socket which is essentially a spur from a socket inside using white 13A rated flex as the cable will be visible inside. I am now wondering if I should have. The Main CU has a RCD in it so no need for another one from what I have read. It's also in a utility room which is on it's own circuit. My concern is this.

The NICEIC website says:

• Is this work likely to be covered by the Building Regulations? Substantial works such as partial and full rewires are notifiable under the regulations so will need to be signed off by your local authority if not using a registered contractor

• If the work is minor (such as adding a new socket), is it in the bathroom, kitchen or garden? This work is not notifiable under the Building Regulations however they are considered high risk locations due to the load demands of appliances and/or proximity to water sources which can make working with electricity more dangerous
This leads me to believe it is something I can do and there should be no issues, however I have heard contradicting information which would mean it should have been done by a qualified electrician or I need to get the local authority to sign the work off.

Can anyone shed some light on whether it's OK to have done it myself?

Sponsored Links
Your contradicting information may come from older sources when it was notifiable, currently it isn't in England.
Even though it isn't notifiable it still needs to comply with the building regs, i.e. it has to be safe. When you say it is a spur from a socket in 13A flex, that strikes me as not compliant unless it is from a plugtop or a fused spur unit.

It is OK to do it yourself, providing it is done properly.

The gotcha in your set up is to make sure that the socket that you are powering from is part of a ring final and not a spur already. How many cables go to that socket - not including your new one?

1.5 mm2 flex is not the correct cable.

If you want white cable, either use 2.5 mm2 3 core flex
or
2.5 mm2 LSF twin and earth cable.

The best way is probably to use regular grey sheathed 2.5 mm2 twin and earth cable, and white mini trunking.

Sponsored Links
OP said 13A flex which would be 1.25mm² flex.

This would be alright for a single socket but is not allowed (don't know why). Use 2.5mm², as said.

How did you connect to the original socket in the utility room? You say the cable is visible on the inside so did you have to cut a hole in the side of a surface mounted pattress box or is it plugged into a socket?

Thanks for the replies folks. The socket that it is being fed from has one cable going into it which is the regular grey sheathed 2.5 mm2 twin and earth cable. Would this suggest it's already a spur and to run another off it I would have to add a 13A fused unit to the new connection? The cable coming out of the original socket it is the white 13amp flex which is hardwired in.

Would this suggest it's already a spur and to run another off it I would have to add a 13A fused unit to the new connection?
Assuming the existing socket is a spur from a ring final then yes. But the FCU would need to be fitted BEFORE the existing socket!

The cable coming out of the original socket it is the white 13amp flex which is hardwired in.
And that is the cable that you have added? You can use that if an FCU is in place, as that will limit the current to no more than 13A.
Note that there is no such thing as "13amp flex". The amount of current that cables can carry will be a combination of the cable's conductors physical size combined with factors like the installation method.

Assuming the existing socket is a spur from a ring final then yes. But the FCU would need to be fitted BEFORE the existing socket!

This is how the Utility Room is wired. The Main CU has a 20A MCB for the Utility Room and then a single cable comes out of the CU through the wall down the side of the house (in some metal conduit) and then into the utility room to the first double socket (washing machine & dryer). Out of this socket come two grey wires, one feeding the second socket (where I am wanting to attach the outdoor socket) and one to the light in the Utility Room.

And that is the cable that you have added? You can use that if an FCU is in place, as that will limit the current to no more than 13A.
Note that there is no such thing as "13amp flex". The amount of current that cables can carry will be a combination of the cable's conductors physical size combined with factors like the installation method.
That is correct yes.

What size mcb do you turn off to isolate the socket ? Eg 16,20,32A ?

20A MCB

So it appears to be a radial circuit, not a ring, so what you have done is OK apart from the cable you used. No need for a FCU in this case.

Bit concerned about the light though, that should not be on this circuit unless it is via a FCU fused at 5 amp.

Also your double socket for washing machine and dryer is worrying. Just don't run them both together as most double sockets are rated at a max or 20 amp total even though they are 13 amp individually.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back