Outdoor socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to run an outdoor socket right behind an indoor socket, I had an RCD consumer unit installed a few years back will this be sufficiant protection for the new socket. Also regulation wise is this sort of work OK for the home owner to do? Thanks Dave

Sponsored Links
Dave, as far as part p is concerned, it says all external installations must iether be installed by a part p registered compitant person or you have to get the local buildings inspector to check what you are going to do before you do it and certify it as safe after you've done. However it is generally accepted that external work means connections which are external other than the connections inside the accessorie, so as long as thats the only connections, you're ok. as you point out the ring final circuit supplying the internal socket is protected by an RCD so thats ok. Finally the type of socket you choose must be appropriate for its intended use and location so it should be "IP65" os similar, intended for exterior use.
Finally make sure every thing is off before you start, and just because your confident doesn't mean you know what your doing. the fact that your asking the question makes me suggest you get a compitant sparky to do it for you.
good luck

Thanks for the reply. I usually ere on the side of caution so I'll get a pro in thanks again

Sponsored Links
OOI, the approved doc says that an outside socket does have external connections; because someone is going to poke a plug into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back