Running a Outdoor 2G RCD Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a 2G outdoor RCD protected socket as pictured below. I have an existing socket inside the house exactly on the otherside of the wall where I want to place the socket. I can spur off this socket. I can remove the socket and drill straight out to feed a 2.5mm2 cable outside and spur exactly on the other side with this double exterior socket. However, I would like to be able to switch that outdoor socket off completely from inside the house. So, what I am thinking to do is install a single 1G backbox next to the current indoor socket. Then spur from the existing socket to the 1G backbox which will have a 13A fused spur and then run the outdoor socket directly from that single 1G fused spur. Will this work? And does it meet the regs?

ae235

Sponsored Links
If the circuit you plan to connect from is RCD then no need for a RCD outdoor socket.

Nothing wrong with either method you have outlined. A method of double pole isolation for the outdoor socket is a good idea, in case of water ingress tripping your house circuit.

You don't need an FCU to provide that double pole isolation, a double pole switch will do the job, but so will an FCU.

I agree with Simon's points.

In addition, however, most people would say that you could not spur off the exisiting socket if it was, itself, already a spur from a ring circuit. If the existing socket is part of a ring (not a spur), or is on a radial circuit, then what you propose would be fine.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies. Simon you menion if the circuit is already from an RCD then no need for RCD outdoor socket. Is there absolutely no need or will there be no harm having it as extra backup?

John, I understand that you cannot spur off a socket if it's already a spur. I have checked the socket and it has 2 sets of wires going in and nothing is spurring from it. I read somewhere that generally if there is 1 wire then it means it's a spur and you cannot spur off it. If there is 3 then it means it has already been spurred from and you cannot spur from it. And if there is 2 then you can run a spur (unless someone ran a spur from a spur, which doesnt meet regs anyway) and considering its a new build with electrical safety checks done and I am the first home-owner since new, I doubt that would be the case. Plus worst case scenario if I am running the exterior 2G socket from a 13A fused spur then at least it's also protected by the fuse in the spur right?

Sponsored Links
If you are running machines or tools, including garden tools, it is an advantage to use an Active RCD local to the machine, because in the event of a trip or loss of power, it will not reactivate unless you switch it back on.

This gives a degree of protection against dangers that may arise if the power is turned on remotely, and the equipment starts up unexpectedly, possibly while someone is rummaging about inside the whirling blades.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Accessories/RcdSockets/RcdSockets.htm

If you have two RCDs in series, you cannot confidently predict whether one, the other, or both will trip, unless one is time-delayed.

If you are running machines or tools, including garden tools, it is an advantage to use an Active RCD local to the machine, because in the event of a trip or loss of power, it will not reactivate unless you switch it back on.

This gives a degree of protection against dangers that may arise if the power is turned on remotely, and the equipment starts up unexpectedly, possibly while someone is rummaging about inside the whirling blades.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Accessories/RcdSockets/RcdSockets.htm

If you have two RCDs in series, you cannot confidently predict whether one, the other, or both will trip, unless one is time-delayed.

I think I prefer unplugging as a method of isolation before I start cleaning the mower.

Thanks for the replies. Simon you menion if the circuit is already from an RCD then no need for RCD outdoor socket. Is there absolutely no need or will there be no harm having it as extra backup?
See what I wrote earlier today in message no 6 of this other thread (Click Here)
John, I understand that you cannot spur off a socket if it's already a spur. .... And if there is 2 then you can run a spur (unless someone ran a spur from a spur, which doesnt meet regs anyway) and considering its a new build with electrical safety checks done and I am the first home-owner since new, I doubt that would be the case.
2 cables certainly suggests that it is not a spur, except for the caveat you have put in brackets there - which may not be as much of a certainty as one would like to think!
Plus worst case scenario if I am running the exterior 2G socket from a 13A fused spur then at least it's also protected by the fuse in the spur right?
Yes, that would protect everything downstream of the FCU but, if you were spurring from something that was already a spur, then that would be contrary to guidance in the regulations, and might theoretically overload the cable feeding the existing spur(s). Having said all that, your interpretation is very probably correct!

Kind Regards, John

One of the sockets from the double socket will be used to power a aquarium pump in the garden. And the other spare socket will be used for plugging in pressure washer, or vacuum cleaner to clean the car. This way I don't need to keep water pump running all the time and during freezing weather seasons I can leave it off completely as it is just a waterfall pump.

I am also thinking to run some spike style garden ground led lights to light up some plants and trees. I have 2 options, one is to run from a plug from the exterior socket or other option is that I already have an existing security light outside that has PIR sensor as well switch to turn it on from inside. Should I run the lights from the security light circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back