So i've installed a new outdoor socket!

Sponsored Links
Also your double socket for washing machine and dryer is worrying. Just don't run them both together as most double sockets are rated at a max or 20 amp t
The circuit OPD is 20a, what's you're worry …..

DS

Also your double socket for washing machine and dryer is worrying. Just don't run them both together as most double sockets are rated at a max or 20 amp t
The circuit OPD is 20a, what's you're worry …..

DS

True, my brain was not fully in gear.

EFLimpediance, I am aware of that thread, and I did say "most" as the OP did not specify the brand of double socket.

I'd still have some sort of double poled isolation for it indoors for the time when it goes wrong and starts tripping the RCD.
13A fused spur unit will suffice.

Sponsored Links
So it appears to be a radial circuit, not a ring, so what you have done is OK apart from the cable you used. No need for a FCU in this case.

Bit concerned about the light though, that should not be on this circuit unless it is via a FCU fused at 5 amp.

Also your double socket for washing machine and dryer is worrying. Just don't run them both together as most double sockets are rated at a max or 20 amp total even though they are 13 amp individually.

Never noticed it before but the light switch actually is a FCU with a 2amp fuse. So if I replace the cable I put in the other day with this to the outdoor socket I'm good to go?

Also we have been in the property for 5 years now and never had any issues running the washing machine and tumble dryer at the same time. No idea what type the docket is but it's a big metal beast!

Last edited:
What's the determination to use flex?

Use fixed wiring cable.

Paint it if you want.

How are you sealing where the cable enters the socket?

What's the determination to use flex?

Use fixed wiring cable.

Paint it if you want.

How are you sealing where the cable enters the socket?

It's going to be running approximately 2m along the top of a skirting board and round a corner so using the flex would look neater IMO. Is there any reason why I can't use the flex instead of the grey rigid cable?

Sealing it with either a grommet (doubt that would be watertight though) or a cable gland.

If you want to use flex then use it. There is nothing particularly wrong about using flex for this job you are doing.

And that BAS is too stubborn to admit he's wrong, and instead obfuscates by pretending he doesn't understand what is written in the standard.

Isn't there already a thread for this argument - I propose that a mod should remove the 3 offending posts (plus this one!). I don't mind stillp doing his windup in one thread but it really doesn't need to spread any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back