Age of fusebox

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any idea how old this fusebox is?
Its in a new house I'm looking at buying so trying to work out if it needs replacing and the attached wiring.
I know an independant inspection is best but just trying to get a rough idea of what needs doing :)

Sponsored Links
You need your TT converting to PME & s/l board or RCBO's fitting. (Or a rod and s/l board with TD rcd incomer) & MEB's to gas & water.

What the rest is like, I'm not sure.

Date would be mid-late 80's??

At a guess from the photo I would say ~25 years old.

You appear to have a TT supply which may now be upgradable to PME.

Can you take a close up photo of the device to the right of the consumer unit?

It appears to be an RCD (rather than an older style ELCB) as there are no earths connected to it, although this is still an outdated setup. (there should be 2 RCDs for a TT supply)

Are you brave enough to take the cover off the CU and post a photo? If you do, make sure you switch off the power first.

<edit> I got beaten by Simon :eek: How unusual ;)

if you click on the pic you will inlarge it to screen size and be able to see it more clearly.

looks like someone has pained over the earth cable, :eek:

Sponsored Links
Yeah, I worked out how to click the photo.

Still can't see what is written on the RCD / ELCB

Painting an earth cable is not a crime, aslong as it is still connected.

RF Lighting said:
At a guess from the photo I would say ~25 years old.

You appear to have a TT supply which may now be upgradable to PME.

Can you take a close up photo of the device to the right of the consumer unit?

It appears to be an RCD (rather than an older style ELCB) as there are no earths connected to it, although this is still an outdated setup. (there should be 2 RCDs for a TT supply)
the bottom of it appears to say "residual current operated cuircuit breaker"

the writing on the top i can't read but i'm geuessing its 100mA from the shape of some of it (the small letter followed by the capital letter is a giveaway for mA and the number looks to long to be 30)

Thanks for the replies everyone! Unfortunately we're about 3 hours drive away from the house, so taking more photos isn't really an option at the moment!!

Do you think that it's something we would want to replace the fuse box if we bought this place? And given that the wiring is probably similar age, so about 25 years, would it be worth replacing that, seeing as the place needs replastering anyway?

In terms of the supply, you say it's a TT, do the suppliers usually upgrade these, or is it something we would have to request? Property's a bit out in the sticks so that's probably why it's not been done...

I guess the final thing to ask is this type of supply something that you would want to upgrade asap, or is it something that chances are we could happily live with for the next few years?

Thanks again for all the help, it really is much appreciated!

You will have to enquire to the DNO as to the availibility of PME as it is not always possible to convert a TT to PME (it depends on if the DNO have sufficient regular earthing on their Neutral)
Nothing wrong with a correctly installed/functioning TT system though so it will be to your benefit to have the electrical installation tested by a competant electrician. ;)

At 20+ years old you might want to consider having it rewired and then plastered before you move in. It's not something you want to have done in a few years time after you get the place the way you like it and getting it done while the house is empty will make it quicker and easier for all concerned (and will probably cost you less aswell).

Davy

I've blown up the piccy, and it does say Residual Current Operated Circuit Breaker at the bottom. It is an early Wylex design.

It is 100mA.

You can age the installation: Wylex first introduced RCCB's in 1974. It (at least that part of it) cannot be older than that. The breakers are Type B, so if someone knows when the switch over was from numbers to letters, that will help.

I have one of those breakers in the garage: it is an MEM 161QEB, Type B breaker (mine is 16A).

Type tested to 3871, part 1 (1965)

Cat of Duty, M5.

With MEM BIRMINGHAM on the side.

That info may help to pinpoint age of installation (or at least manufacture)too.

However, given what we can see of it, I would budget a rewire.

Thanks guys your help is exellent as allways :)
Rewire added to the budget as well as countless other things.
Now I just have to decide if its worth it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back