Moving my own MCB (Fusebox)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i want to knock down a stud wall which currently has my fusebox on it. As usual i've been told different things by different professionals. How easy is it to move about 3-4foot from where is currently is if i was doing it myself? Aparantly Seeboard "own" everybodies fuseboxes and are the only ones allowed to ouch them...is that true?

If this is something that really needs to be carried out by a professional does anybody have a rough idea of what i should expect to pay?

Thank you for your time
Dazzle

Sponsored Links
Very easy to move it. Whether you live to finish the job is a different matter.

It is a major job requiring the right test equipment to test all wiring BEFORE and after the move.

It is not a DIY job.

The electricity supply company need to come to isolate the power before you start to move the consumer unit as it has lethal live wires that are NOT turned of by the main switch in the consumer unit.

They do no own your fusebox, but they do however own the cutout and meter which supply your property.

It is true that they are the only people allowed to work on this equipment.

As for cost, firstly is is against forum rule 9 to ask for prices, and there are too many variables to even guess.

You need to contact your DNO and ask them, and then you will also need to appoint an electrician to relocate your CU, and reconnect to the moved supply.

Thank you very much for your help. I did think it would be a job for the professionals, apologies for the rule break :oops: I'll just get a few electricians in to quote.

One last thing..Whats a DNO?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
AFAIK seeboard no longer exist.

poor old blobby
SEEBOARDblobby.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back