Kitchen Rewire - what to expect for quote?

When the kitchen is fitted it won't look anything, any more than pipes running behind cupboards do. I've got a run of 50x50 galvanised trunking behind some of mine - can't see it.

Sponsored Links
When the kitchen is fitted it won't look anything, any more than pipes running behind cupboards do. I've got a run of 50x50 galvanised trunking behind some of mine - can't see it.
I have galvanised conduit behind mine (but mostly concealed in the wall). However I still think a diagonal run would look appalling. I cringe every time I see diagonal runs behind kitchen units - seems to me like no care was given to the installation.

However I still think a diagonal run would look appalling.
It's not the best choice in the world, but it's far better than having an extra joint in the cable, particularly if situated on the floor behind the units where it would be near impossible to access in the future.

thanks for all the comment guys, certainly given me thought.

I'm not keen on going diagonal either also, after measuring length of wire that would run diagonal, its not long enough.

I think cable run will be kept the same, by this i mean in same configuration as plan provided.
But i take your point flameport, regarding cable running too low to floor. With this, it will be raised to a height within cabinet.
So:
  • Surface mount box will be located were feed cable exits wall inside of cabinet, which should allow good turning angle as not to over bend cable.
  • Travel along wall in trunking to junction box (can't see any other way as cable is to short). Cabinets have back panel so i will cut hole for access to junction box incase of inspection(s) required, image for example:
junction.JPG

The cabinet in the plan has a door but in fact has three draws, so junction box won't be eye sore and easily accessed.​
  • Cable will then travel up (in trunking), being chased into wall 3-4 inch's of worktop surface, all the way to switch.
  • Outlet cable simply the reverse except for junction box and terminating in 45A dual appliance outlet.
anyone see any legal issue?

Sponsored Links
May be worth adding an additional double socket above the units to the right of the cooker in the new kitchen? It looks like there are some at the corner where the kettle and toaster now are, but one close to the hobs can be useful if you are using on of those food processors that you stick into the pot on the hobs. And also if you have a veg steamer, and can put it close to the extractor so the steam gets taken away....

hi, yes you are correct, there is a double socket on the wall and it is on the ring so, spur or extending ring is an option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back