Age old question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my baxi solo 50 boiler for 4 years now, and I've not had it serviced.
Obviously I'm going to do it soon, but what do they do exactly and is it worth it????

Sponsored Links
The instruction manual advises an annual service, so 4 years is rather late. Do you question the six-monthly drive to the garage too, or do you just wait until the oil failure light comes on?

Sorry I didnt realise it was the forum for sarcasm?

My question was genuine, of course they must do something worthwhile.
I attempted a search but did not find anything useful.

Thanks, or not.

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber but have been reading these forums for a while so can tell you that a service will check for accumulated crud in air inlet, inside of boiler and flue. Plus there are numerous checks that can be run on the fuel burning parts, the electronics, the water flow and temperature.

Complicated bit of kit - lots to keep tuned.

I am someone that tends to fly by the seat of my pants and cut corners but I had a brand new shiny boiler fitted in the summer and will definitely have it serviced annually.

Can I also suggest you be a bit less sensitive to a bit of humour? These guys provide a vast amount of info for free. What's the point in being petulant?

Because if you're NOT petulant there's no excuse for throwing all the toys out of the pram! :evil:

If you have not read the M&I manual that comes with boiler, then you won't know whether there are servicing instructions in it. Hint: there will be. If there isn't one, then you need the boiler serviced if only to check that it was properly installed in the first place. Obviously the installer failed to follow the key instruction to leave the manual with the boiler. But then again, you might have lost it.

bengasman said:
........................Do you question the six-monthly drive to the garage too, or do you just wait until the oil failure light comes on?

EVERY SIX MONTHS?????? Don't you think we have enough overheads? Thank heavens my oil light doesn't come on too often. Anyway, how do you manage to do 20,000 miles in six months?

Sarcasm, on this forum, with my reputation, 2.00am in the girls dormitory with chocolates and a bottle of champers, I say, sarcasm, whatever next :eek:

The guys who put our present boiler in left two manuals. One had instructions for lighting and temperature setting and a load of safety instructions along the lines of "Warning, this boiler gets hot". That was the User Manual.

The other one was the installation manual. This was packed with useful information including full circuit diagrams and a spare parts list. In big red letters it said NOT TO BE LEFT WITH THE CUSTOMER. I'm really pleased they didn't read that bit!

DOn't be silly, who ever heard of an installer reading the instructions? :rolleyes:

Funny isn't it,they should make their frig*in minds up, now the customer has to sign the Benchmark log book to say we HAVE LEFT THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS with them.

To answer the original question, if you want to know "what they do exactly" watch and learn. Hint: You'll learn a lot more if you can find that manual and read it in advance.

All these read the manual comments.
Are you telling me that there is nothing common to every boiler service??
I'm thinking that they probably dont do much at all apart from 'clean crud'!!! Where do they clean crud from? The heat exchanger? And make sure the flue isn't obstructed by hedging!

Watch and Learn indeed, whats your trade felix? Know much about software?!
I think I have the manuals so I'll get my screwdriver and detergent ready!! Only joking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back