Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just going through my cd collection sorting it out onto the pc etc, and i stopped to lok at one of my all time fave bands, and it occured to me that most of the cds i own predate my kids, i was then left to wonder when i turned old, i looked up some of the new stuff in my genre and apart from one or 2 bands that i know, i didnt recognise some of them and these guys are appartantly pretty popular bands for the time, also led to me to think of my mates mum, when we were kids she liked all the old bands and never had new stuff, i guess we all go down that road then.

anyone else find this happened to them?

Sponsored Links
What makes me laugh is when these 'today' artists release a single and all the kids think it's great - until you tell them it's a cover of a song from back when you we their age.

What makes me laugh is when these 'today' artists release a single and all the kids think it's great - until you tell them it's a cover of a song from back when you we their age.

am i wrong in saying that the new pop idol / x factor single is a cover of a cover?

I was into indie, Brit pop and rave (now classed as old school rave :( ), can't belive those hey days were over 15 years ago now :oops:

Sponsored Links
I get that feeling when going through my vinyls and reel to reels

When I was a pre-teen I heard some old music on the 'wireless' and asked my mother what it was. :confused: :confused: :confused: "It's pop" she replied. "That's what we had when we were your age." It was in fact jazz and to me it was awful! :eek: :eek: :eek:

It doesn't work that way now. When today's teenagers (we've got two of them :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) hear the stuff we called pop - or rock - or punk - or (enter favourite music here) - they think it's great! :D :D :D

Do they really think ( for themselves ) that it is great or do they "know" it is great because the media and peer pressure has told them it will be great.

When I was young we heard music ( assuming the cats wisker radio was working ) and if we liked it we may have bought the record ( if there was a record player in the house ).

How can a record become top of the hit parade before anyone has heard it ? Even Elvis's records rose to the top only after the release date.

Bernard. It's a marketing trick. To get to the top of the charts only certain outlets are (or were) monitored so if the record companies went to those shops and bought every copy - then the single reached number one where it would get radio and TV (TOTP) airplay and sell far more copies than it would have done had it not charted in the first instance. It's a sort of 'loss leader'. ;)

am i wrong in saying that the new pop idol / x factor single is a cover of a cover?

Mariah Carey song..

I once pulled an old album out and my daughter said 'thats a big cd dad'... :confused:

I had a usb turnatble for christmas so my first job of the new year will be transfering all my vinyl to cd so I can actually start listening to them again..thats once I have sussed the software out (audacity) which is very complicated IMO

Sponsored Links
Back