WMCs

Whats to stop a WMC changing to a normal pub, even serving food? Most have space for some kitchen prep area, as well as space for performances and even bingo, should demand arise.

BINGO?! LOL are you sure you're 22?!

Sponsored Links
Wow i didn't even know they were still in existence! I am constantly being educated.. God bless the internet

to be fair coming from wales being constantly educated shouldnt be that hard :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (sorry!)

I wrote
it would be the same as the past, not good but known.

meanng that people in the 60's and before had a life style that we today would consider was not good. But it was considered as good in those days.
Fair point, but I consider that, including modern health advances and women`s emancipation, I`d rather have the values that were around back then ..eg. thrift, no credit, honest tradesmen. a country worth taking the Queens shilling for . Strange that the PM who advocated "victorian values" did the most to remove the good ones, leaving a lot of values that the Victorians had that were bad.

Sponsored Links
"No dogs, No Irish, No Blacks"

the back-street abortionist

filth and poverty

polio

TB

child abuse ignored

air pollution and smog carrying off the aged, the asthmatic, those with flu or other breathing difficulties

We need more rose-tinted spectacles.

What a stupid topic. Evidently the members of our club committee have been reading the replies to this post and decided that enough is enough. The club building now has a 'For Sale' sign up. And it's all your fault Steve.

;) ;) ;)

Nige F said:
I`d rather have the values that were around back then ..eg. thrift, no credit, honest tradesmen. a country worth taking the Queens shilling for .

and

JohnD said:
"No dogs, No Irish, No Blacks"

the back-street abortionist

filth and poverty

polio

TB

child abuse ignored

air pollution and smog carrying off the aged, the asthmatic, those with flu or other breathing difficulties

We need more rose-tinted spectacles.

I remember the sixties. I suppose that means I wasn't really there. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: - which is true because I was still at school. :( :( :(

1) Thrift: This was a necessity for most people because there wasn't a lot of money around.

2) No credit: There were no credit CARDS but there was credit in the form of hire purchase and the APR, a term unheard of back then, was off the scale! :eek: :eek: :eek:

3) Honest tradesmen: I'm not sure about that. You wanted some apples. There were some nice ones on display but you couldn't have those. The greengrocer filled your bag with grotty ones out of sight behind the counter. :mad: :mad: :mad: You asked for a quarter pound of sliced ham. The butcher took five ounces off the pile, weighed them and put the top one back. The ones underneath were mostly fat. :evil: :evil: :evil:

4) The Queen's shilling: There may have been more people who THOUGHT their country was worth dying for. It doesn't follow that they were right!

5) No dogs etc: I think that was true. There was more intolerance back then. You could get picked on just for being different. This is one of the things that improved during the sixties but homosexuals would have to wait another decade. :( :( :(

6) The back street abortionist: Very true. Single mothers would also have to wait another decade. :mad: :mad: :mad:

7) Filth and poverty: Has this actually changed? :confused: :confused: :confused: It has in real terms because poverty is relative. If, in Victorian times, you predicted that in a hundred years the poorest people would be the fattest they wouldn't believe you. The idea would be preposterous! :confused: :confused: :confused:

8} Polio and TB: These were eliminated in the fifties. :) :) :) I got my vaccinations as soon as I started school in 1957. There were vaccinations for diptheria and whooping cough too. We still got measles and mumps though. :( :( :(

9) Child abuse ignored: I think you might be right there. There were a lot of people around who thought they had an absolute right to thump any kid they didn't like the looks of. We had a serial child killer in our midst back then (Mary Bell) but it was hushed up.

10) Air pollution and smog: These were being dealt with in the sixties. Pollution was the new buzz word.

So how do the quotes compare? I call it a draw. :) :) :) I wouldn't want to go back to the sixties. The decade has been hailed as the one when everything changed but that's wrong! Maybe a lot of things STARTED to change but it didn't happen overnight. I would choose the mid seventies, after the strikes but before Thatcher. :) :) :)

Back