Aged Drill and Failed Driver- Will This Replace Them?

Sponsored Links
i would also suggest the impact driver has adjustments, like the Dewalt version, which i have and has 3 settings, which i use an alter all the time.
Also it comes with 2x 5AH batts and my dewalt 5A i would not use in these tools as its far to big and heavy for me, to get into arkward places and to hold for any time.
Personally I purchased a dewalt set with 3Ah batts which for me as a DIYer last days and work fine, sometimes i even drop to the 2Ah batteries I have which make it nice and light
They have done most of what I needed, But i also last year got a SDS Drill which i have used quite a lot for drilling large holes through Walls and also the chisel option a lot.

i'm not pushing dewalt, as yoiu may have other makita cordless tools, but just to give you an idea of the 3 speed impact driver in a kit
https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...-li-ion-xr-brushless-cordless-twin-pack/682fk

Last edited:
To cut a core hole (I.e larger diameter hole) through blockwork you will need a corded core or SDS drill, I'd say. Fat chance of getting a cordless combi drill, or even a smaller cordless SDS drill, to do the job unless you spend big bucks (for example the Makita 2 x 18 volt cordless SDS will core up to about 80mm, but it eats batteries and costs in excess of £600)

That combi drill will certainly drill holes for plugging (up to 8 or 10mm) into blockwork, medium brick and lesser grades of concrete and so would be a good tool for DIY or trade, but no cordless combi drill I've come across will drill holes into Accringtons (engineering brick), 70kN concrete or granite (stated as I have been using a Makita DHP481 for nearly 5 years now)

Makita 3Ah batteries are the same size and weight as the 5Ah ones - same goes for deWalt - about the only people who have a low profile (small size) 3Ah battery is Hikoki

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, you've all touched on the limitations I assumed a cordless drill would have. Probably go separate- my drill will go a bit longer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back