Ageing electrics

I would not try to move the existing circuits to a new CU, too much risk of it causing more problems than it solves.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a mess unfortunately, first point of call I'd be emailing pictures of the lot to the dno, explain you can't get anyone to work on it due to the rubber clad incoming supply and ask what they can do for you, you want an isolator fitting as a minimum with the ideal being the incoming and meter head replacing at their cost.

If their unwilling to help then you are down to removing the fuse yourself and fitting your own isolator and tails then sorting the rest of the mess out but I'd be surprised if the dno won't help with the install being so old

It's all in a dangerous condition, and should have been removed decades ago - as in it was due for replacement in the early 1970s.
Indeed. What rather surprises me is that the meter bears a 1990 date, so must have been installed then or later, and I'm rather surprised that ("that late") they were prepared/happy to connect those outgoing tails to it!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all the advice.

My instinct is to split this into 2 issues.

The first and most urgent is to get that shower working - safely. The wiring for this is the most recent (PVC) and seems in good condition with a single run up to a jointing junction box in the bathroom, then on to power the shower and the recessed 12v downlight. Going with @flameport suggestion of a single consumer shower unit with RCD. Advantage of this is that the work can be done without disturbing the mess that is the main fuseboard. I'm hoping to convince a local spark to complete this. Don't know of any personally so might have to resort to Checkatrade.

Issue 2 - The Rest. I've submitted an enquiry to the council, not expecting much from that, but thought it was worth a try. So thanks for that again @flameport The fact that the property is Grade II listed might go in my favour. I have to find some way of funding a complete re-wire. I really do appreciate the need for this, I have no desire of becoming a latter-day Steve Marriott. If I can convince somebody to tackle Issue 1 then I'll ask him for some advice on better whole house protection in the short-term while I sort out the funding.

I'll return to this thread when I have more progress info to add.

Sponsored Links
Bit of a mess unfortunately, first point of call I'd be emailing pictures of the lot to the dno, explain you can't get anyone to work on it due to the rubber clad incoming supply and ask what they can do for you, you want an isolator fitting as a minimum with the ideal being the incoming and meter head replacing at their cost.

If their unwilling to help then you are down to removing the fuse yourself and fitting your own isolator and tails then sorting the rest of the mess out but I'd be surprised if the dno won't help with the install being so old

Is this really something that my DNO would want to get involved in, given that my understanding is that there responsibility begins and ends at the meter ?

Their the only ones who are 'technically' allowed to fit an isolator as it involves removing their fuse.

They are also the only ones who can replace the ageing incoming supply as it's theirs, yes they won't get involved with anything after the meter but it's going to be one step at a time getting that lot sorted and you need an isolator to begin with.

Their the only ones who are 'technically' allowed to fit an isolator as it involves removing their fuse.

They are also the only ones who can replace the ageing incoming supply as it's theirs, yes they won't get involved with anything after the meter but it's going to be one step at a time getting that lot sorted and you need an isolator to begin with.
Cheers I'll contact Electricity North West

DNO have come back to me and said that the meter and isolator is not their responsibility -

"The meter is your suppliers equipment, so it is there responsibility to maintain and replace that for you. As you do not currently have an isolator switch, it would also be the supplier who will install that for you. "

Problem with that is that my supplier has no convenient installation slots that I am able to book.

Guess I'll wait for comments from a visiting contractor.

Typical dno brush off, they are responsible for the incoming supply and tails into the meter.

If you can't get a suitable appointment from your supplier you either wait it out and they'll no doubt try and force you into having a smart meter fitted or you source your own isolator...

Indeed. What rather surprises me is that the meter bears a 1990 date, so must have been installed then or later, and I'm rather surprised that ("that late") they were prepared/happy to connect those outgoing tails to it!

Kind Regards, John

they perhaps didn't connect those tails. For it's age, it appears to have and awful lot of fuses for a domestic property, a time when not many individual circuits were needed or installed.

they perhaps didn't connect those tails. For it's age, it appears to have and awful lot of fuses for a domestic property, a time when not many individual circuits were needed or installed.
Yes, but the 'worst' of those outgoing tails (from the meter) clearly pre-date 1990 by a long time, so presumably they must have been (re-) connected by whoever installed the meter (in 1990 or later), mustn't they?

Kind Regards, John

Is it just me or does the cable from the meter to the shower isolator look to have been cut? It just sort of stops.
It looks to me like the outer sheath is sticking out past where the cores leave it.

It looks to me like the outer sheath is sticking out past where the cores leave it.
@plugwash has called it correctly here.

Have a couple of contractors coming round over the weekend, so I'll report back with their comments.

I'm expecting some interesting conversations.

Just to make it clear, none of the pictured installation or modifications, were carried out by myself or anybody else on my behalf. Other than the removal of the fuse shown, as I identified this a supplying a clearly un-safe socket in the the hall.

Been aware of the need for a complete re-wire for a while and the problem with the shower has just forced the issue.

Might be able recover some costs by taking this ancient equipment to Antiques Roadshow :LOL: :LOL: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back