AICO Smoke alarms AI 141

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently put new Duracell 9V batteries in with catastrophic results. The 3 interconected smoke alarms kept "bipping" at me every few minutes with the end result we now have no smoke alarms.

I used Duracell Plus 6LR61 thinking they were fine
However I now see on then inside of the AICO alarm I must use Duracell MN1604 or Everready 522 as "other batteries can cause problems"

The Duracell 6LR61's claim to be a replacement for MN1604

So do I have a problem with batteries? Or with the 8-year old Detectors?

Any experience would be gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Is the battery draw shut properly? Is the alarm connected to the base fully? Is there power to the detectors (green light?).

Try removing the battery. Look at the metal 'paper clip' inside - give it a little pull and prod to ensure it is free to move. Make sure you put the battery back correctly, the right way around, and fully shut the battery draw.

What interval are the peeps?

Thanks for the reply Lectrician

Answers are yes, yes and yes. Have done all these things umpteen times thus the current frustration!

Beeps are a 2 or 3 minutes apart at one time then half an hour or so next. No pattern at all. Weird innit!

Thanks for the reply Lectrician

Answers are yes, yes and yes. Have done all these things umpteen times thus the current frustration!

Beeps are a 2 or 3 minutes apart at one time then half an hour or so next. No pattern at all. Weird innit!

have you manually triggered each detector after changing the batts?

Sponsored Links
Yes sir, several times in an effort to stop the **** Beeping

Currently have taken all 3 down and they in the garage minus batteries

Wife not very happy with that arrangement though!

It might be a build up of dust that is causing problems.

At that age, I would just replace the units. It is recommended that you replace them every ten years anyway, so now might be as good a time as any.

Thanks for all the helpful comments

As a result I gave them all a thorough clean and hoovering, and then re-installed as per the book (i.e. mains power off). So far so good

But comments on them being due replacement soon are noted thanks

How wrong can I be?
2 o'clock in the morning they start beeping again.......Dog in panic mode; wife with sense of houmour failure and me going round with a chair taking them all down again
Looks like I'm shoping fornew ones this morning

I have had this problem with aico smoke alarms before.
If you change the batteries and use duracell procell they will work fine.

Thanks gazza
I took RF Lightings advice on board and bought new ones, given the age of these
No probs since and peaceful sleep!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back