Replace Smoke Alarms without setting off Security Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The smoke alarms in my house are completely knackered and need to be replaced, so I bought two Aico EI141RC alarms with mains and battery back up. I now need to fit them. Step 1: turn off breaker on DB so I can wire the new alarms without getting electrocuted. The problem is my smoke alarm and security alarm are on the same breaker, and when I turn it off, my security alarm thinks the power has gone out and sets off an air-raid siren.

The security alarm is a 12 year old Gardtec, I think model 370 581/582. I opened the security control board (which set off the klaxon again) and disconnected the battery in there, but the siren carried on going so there must be another battery somewhere. Is there a more graceful way of disabling the alarm without taking a 4 lb hammer to the siren itself?

Sponsored Links
As above, the alarm should not sound if you disconnect the power the back up battery should take over so yours is clearly in need of being replaced.

There is also a battery in the siren which is why it kept going when you disconnected the back up battery.

Make a note of the ah and dimensions of your back up battery and buy one of the same size

Thanks both. I was hoping not to have to buy a battery, because the security alarm is rubbish and needs to be replaced, but I don't have money for that now. Guess I'll look for a cheap battery on eBay.

Sponsored Links
According to the manual a 12v 1.2ah will fit happily , quick look on eBay tells me there's one for £5.65 which is pretty reasonable

The security alarm control panel display is cryptic to the point of being unusable unless you have the manual directly in front of you, and even then it's complicated. The symbols look like something out of the Predator films... Maybe it's just because of it's age, because my mum had a new alarm installed a couple years ago and her controls are actually in English. You don't have to try and guess whether ≡┣ means you're removing a zone from the alarm, or launching a nuke at Mars ;)

Good thing is if your cabling , bell box, pirs and door sensors are all ok then it's not too difficult nor expensive to replace the panel and keypad

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back