air admittance valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am having trouble with the valve, the toilet when flushed with the valve fitted fills the toilet upto the top, I replaced it with a new one butI am having the same problem. I removed the valve and it flushes ok. CAN ANYONE HYELP
Mick

Sponsored Links
Has it ever worked, and have you done any work on the wastes or drains recently - or know if neighbours have?

It is possible that the new one is faulty too

You gotta blocked drain underground - simples :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
hi
what I dont understand is that if I remove the AAV it works properly so I dont see it could have a blockage.
The only work done was a new path done by the council directly outside the house could this be the problem? They shouldn't have touched the pipewoirk
Mick

Nige has got this dead right.
I was called out to one today with the same symptoms, it was a blocked manhole. Jetted it through, now no problems.

Andy

hi
what I dont understand is that if I remove the AAV it works properly so I dont see it could have a blockage.
The only work done was a new path done by the council directly outside the house could this be the problem? They shouldn't have touched the pipewoirk
Mick
You don`t need to understand - just believe :LOL: I don`t understand quantum physics but I believe Stephen Hawking does :mrgreen:

They shouldn't have touched the pipewoirk
Mick
Is that your Somerset accent? ;)

I have some time on my hands so my guess at an explanation is:

The AAV only allows air in, not out. So when there's a blockage in the pipework, there's no room for the water to enter the pipework without displacing something first. It can't displace the air while the AAV is fitted. But when the AAV is not fitted the air is easily displaced allowing the water to enter the pipwork.

The blockage, if one exists, must be pretty close the toilet and would be backing up after a few flushes

Also, if there are any other waste connections to the stack near to the toilet, then the traps would be sucked out of them instead, when the toilet was flushed

The OP will have see what else is on the run to confirm if there is a blockage or not

If the valve is in the loft, then it could be freezing shut in the current weather conditions

:) first place to look will be the last manhole near the footpath/ boundary - assuming your house drains individualy to main sewer - there, you will find a blocked interceptor trap - All the best, Psychic Nige ;)

But where Mick, where ;) - I need to verify my abilities :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back