Air and F&E level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I understand that the F&E level relative to the overflow pipe can cause pumping over - or at least i think thats how I understand it, or think i understand how I think it works.

Anyway, my system (pumped, open vented, Y-plan, ancient boiler) always has air in it - i can bleed it out and then a week later the same quantity is back again. Primarily affecting the little rad in the airing cupboard which we can't switch off (bypass rad?) and also from the x2 air vent screws (x1 DHW, x1 CH side of 3 way valve).

The level of the F&E was 4.5 ish inches above the feed pipe.

Rather than drain it down, I turned off the cold water feed at the isolator to see if it drops of its own accord.

In a week, it dropped a little bit, enough that when the isolator was turned back on there were a small stream which quickly turned to hissing then drips from the feed tap (not a lot basically).

interestingly there was less air to bleed after a week - noteably less.

I assume this drop in level isn't significant enough to cause concern or am i wrong - is it likely evaporation rather than a leak..

Also as there was less air I was thinking of leaving it longer term without the cold feed enabled and keep an eye on it, with a view to lowering the level.

Does any of this cause alarm?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do not turn off the cold feed.

How much higher is the expansion pipework over the tank?

Andy

The expansion pipe is 4 inches above water level - is that OK?

Why would the water level drop - leaks? There is no lid on it btw, i keep meaning to get one.

Why would the water level drop - leaks? There is no lid on it btw, i keep meaning to get one.
The water level is at its lowest when the water in the system is cold. I rises when the water is heated due to the water in the pipes expanding.

It's not the end of the expansion pipe which is important, but how high the top of the bend in the pipe is above the water level when the system water is hot. It needs to be over 450mm and preferably about 600mm.

Sponsored Links

The water level is at its lowest when the water in the system is cold. I rises when the water is heated due to the water in the pipes expanding.

It's not the end of the expansion pipe which is important, but how high the top of the bend in the pipe is above the water level when the system water is hot. It needs to be over 450mm and preferably about 600mm.

Thanks for the magic numbers, i will measure the distance in the morning. Cheers.

There is no magic number , it will be dependant on circulator head , resistances , circulator positioning , pipework configuration , pipe size etc etc etc , it's not uncommon to see some open safety vents 2m above feed and expansion cistern (domestic) , AND THE SYSTEM STILL PUMPS OVER.

Ok mine is 350ish, poss a bit less. The f&e is crammed into a corner in the roof space, so its not possible to lower the tank or raise the bend height (is near roof slope/ceiling already)

Still, i feel better knowing that this is a likely explanation for the constant bleeding, rather than a leak!

Thanks again

Assume someone has combined cold feed and open vent?

I just checked and yes it is combined, the two pipe converge about 30cm below f&e

Ok mine is 350ish, poss a bit less. The f&e is crammed into a corner in the roof space, so its not possible to lower the tank or raise the bend height (is near roof slope/ceiling already)
So what pipe is this which bends over the top of the F&E tank? Is it actually connected to anything?

Yes, the bent 22mm pipe is the one that joins the flow (?) just before the pump in the pictures.

The feed from the F&E tank is patched into the 22mm pipe about a foot or so below the tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back