Air bricks above floor level feeding into cavity. Why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently purchased an '80s semi-detached bungalow and currently in the process of renovation.
Originally, the property was heated via a warm air system and water heater, but this was replaced ~10 years ago with a Combi Boiler CH/HW system.
In the kitchen there is a cupboard in which was located two louvred vents. these vents are parallel to two air bricks located on the outside wall. There is no channel or any other kind of means of connection. Simply air brick, cavity, louvre.
The first air brick/louvre vent is located approx ~2 feet from floor level, the second at ~6 feet. There is no evidence that any element of the heating system ever resided in this cupboard (the cabinet for the warm air unit is in the hallway, the cabinet for the water heater is in one of the bedrooms.
There are noticeable signs of damp in the cupboard where these vents were located (jointing tape peeling away from internal corners, paint blistering/peeling) which I assume is due to the proximity of the air bricks to the interior wall.
I assume these did originally serve a purpose of some kind, but are they still necessary? If not, what is the best course of action to seal off the space?

20220918_120810.jpg20220918_120805.jpg

Ta.

Sponsored Links
I had a relative that lived in a property of a similar vintage and heating set up. It was built with a drying cupboard in the kitchen. It was heated electrically and clothes were hung in it to dry. The warm damp air exited out via the top and this air was replaced with dry air that came in through the bottom to provide the ventilation required.

See the photo 'domestic drying cabinet' in this link to Wikipedia for an idea of the concept. I think my relatives cupboard relied on natural circulation, I can't remember it having a fan, but I was only 10 years old at the time.

If your neighbours properties are the same, one of them may be able to confirm.

If that's what yours was I can't comment as to the absence of a bridge across the cavity. Maybe it was removed when the drying cupboard was decommissioned. In which case, the holes can simply be made good on either side using comparable materials to the existing inner and outer walls.

I had similar vents in a 60's build, think it was for an old gas fire/boiler. I filled them in once I moved over to combi and relocated it.

Sponsored Links
Cheers @stem. That sounds the most likely. Possibly used as a pantry or something similar. Spoke to the joiner who's currently working on the living room and he agreed that it's almost certainly okay to seal up the bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back