Air Bricks

• Thread starter confidentincompetent
  • Start date
C

confidentincompetent

Hi. My 1960s Bungalow has solid floors, outer leaf walls are brick & render inner leaf are blocks which seem to be made from concrete and breeze.
Question! There are air bricks all round, above dpc which go through into each room (interior fitted with open/shut vents) I now see that the cavity is open at each air brick as opposed to a full airbrick closing the cavity. Anyone know if it would cause damp probs if i fill in these air bricks as I think cavity should be closed.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It could be that these vents are there to ensure that devices such as gas fires, wood burners, cookers etc are supplied with sufficient oxygen to operate efficiently and safely.

It is likely that a 1960's bungalow would have originally had both a coal fire and boiler.

Thanks stargaze. Thing is c/h is original and pipes are in floor. kitchen where old boiler was had a full airbrick which closed the cavity. Actually the air bricks I was on about consists of just a cast iron grid and the the cavity is open at these points so letting air circulate round me cavities. (is this why house is soo so bldy cold?) I was always under impression that cavity should be closed. Or is it because they wanted concrete blocks to breathe?
There are no chimmneys or gas pipe etc in any of these rooms.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back