Air Compressors help please??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an Clarke Air Compressor which I tried using for the 1st time today.
It saysit goes up to 8 bar but only maintains pressure at 2 bar!!!

Is this normal? If yes is it because the air tank is small?

What size tank is necessary to get 8bar continuous output/pressure without waiting for air tank refill, or am I missing something else?

Can you tell me what you think about the Revolution Air Boxy Compressor 1.5HP from B&Q? It says 8 bar on the box and it does not have an air tank. Does that mean it will do 8bar output continuous or is it misleading? What is the significance of the 1.5hp?

Finally, please let me know if it is possible to purchase a power washer attachment for a compressor.

PLEASE PLEASE help.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The size of the receiver tank is irrelevant here - your compressor needs to provide around 120 psi to be of any use at all.
I guess the air pressure switch is shutting the thing off prematurely, so I'd be taking it back.
For using any air tools that require substantial CFM of air, your compressor needs to be capable of providing about 14 CFM which will give a continuous use of around 11 CFM. A machine with a minimum air tank of 50 litres is needed, preferably 100 litres. These machines tend to have a 3hp motor though, which requires them to be hard wired.
So - if you want your compressor to be a serious tool - and they are really indespensible - you need to spend somewhere in the region of £400, not including any accessories.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the very-useful reply.

My compressor is a Clarke ZX500 with only 5cfm so maybe that is the issue.

Realistically, I am looking for a compressor to use as a spray painting system, for sandblasting paint off old doors etc, for pressure washing @ 8 bar
http://www.diy-compressors.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_62&products_id=179 and air cleaning and maybe airbrushing... diy use.

I really don't want a huge tank so I prefer the revolution packaging so I hope to find out what is possible with this product range...

Thanks

C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back