Air Con

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I assume this fits best on this forum.

I am thinking about upgrading the heating in my office(log cabin) to an air con unit. Something like: https://www.aircondirect.co.uk/p/10...r-with-5-meters-pipe-kit-and-5-years-warranty

Is this something that can be done by a DIYer? or is it a defo, you MUST use a FGas engineer to avoid x y z.

The info does state an FGas engineer is required but i am sure when searching a while back i found one of these style units that didnt require an engineer.

I am confident i can fit most things, but do respect that there are some things that need to be done by certified tradesmen. Sadly the fitting on these things seems to be more than double the unit, pushing the price away from being possible.

I use one of those electric oil rads which tbh is pretty good. But im yet to be in here when its sub zero outside.....

Anyone know of an air con that is wall mounted and doesnt require an engineer?

M

Sponsored Links
M
I have not done this, but have done a bit of research (so happy to be corrected).

The key part is that installing refrigerant gas requires an engineer.

My understanding is that these units are relatively easy to fit based on the "The indoor and outdoor units are pre-gassed and sealed and they come with a pre-flared pipe-kit". And people are doing this themselves.

You simply push the pre-flared pipe-kit together, bolt together and release the gas. But the possible issues are:
+ If the seal is not good (you over or under tightened it) the gas will leak and you system will not work (a gas engineer will vacuum test before releasing gas.
+ Then you have damaged the atmosphere
+ Real engineers may not be willing to come and re-fit and re-fill as the will be unhappy to service this 'cheaper' self installed equipment as they cannot give any warranty.
+ When you sell house it will be flagged that has no installation certification.

As said this was simply from me calling around so might be different for you. Some engineers said they would be happy to fit for me this cheaper equipment, but would not then give me an equipment warranty.

I budgeted:
£400 for cheapest unit
£30 for outside bracket
£0 DIY installation, but you may well need an electrtion as this does need a good source of power.
£250 for F-gas engineer
so call it £750 to £1,000

Please keep me updated as I would be interested to hear which way you go.

Last edited:
Your warranty will be voided without a qualified A/C eng install.
I check out the app before buying...there's far too many products that are rendered useless when the app stops working or is not maintained.

ps I think this line from the QandA is nice summary of the real life complexity of the gas installation side and which is why asked AC Installers:

-----------------
QUOTE FROM YOUR REFERENCED WEBSITE:
Neil asked on 20 August 2019
Hi, After fitting the units inside and outside and everything is working (fan etc). To get the really cold air do i need to purge the pipes to get the air out? If so the instructions say that you need a manifold gauge and a vacuum pump to do this. Is that the case, because when i put similar unit in in the past i didn't need anything else to purge the air? please help.

Loui replied on 21 August 2019
Yes man. If you need 100 % correct setup you have to use vacuum to make the compressor work easy . But you can also let the gas run a bit to the air to make sure only gas left on pipe.
---------------------

and

---------------------
Jason replied on 01 August 2019
You don’t need to be F-gas registered to buy the equipment but you do need an F-gas engineer to commission and certify the installation for the warranty and to comply with F-gas legislation.
I found a local engineer to check and commission my installation.
I must make it clear that I installed up to the point prior to vacuuming the pipelines and opening the valves. The cost for the commissioning was £80 but could cost up to £250 depending on the contractor. Check out your options before purchasing.
---------------------

Sponsored Links
Finally,
You said you are using "electric oil rads which tbh is pretty good. But i'm yet to be in here when its sub zero outside".
If you are wanting to be warmer, improve your insulation and/or buy a second oil radiator not an AC unit.
The reason I was considering an AC unit was because I also wanted to be cooler in Summer.

If you do not urgently need this requirement better to spend your money on more cheap heaters and electricity.

SFK

Your oil rads would have the benefit of total silence in operation, unlike an air-con system.

M
I have not done this, but have done a bit of research (so happy to be corrected).

The key part is that installing refrigerant gas requires an engineer.

My understanding is that these units are relatively easy to fit based on the "The indoor and outdoor units are pre-gassed and sealed and they come with a pre-flared pipe-kit". And people are doing this themselves.

You simply push the pre-flared pipe-kit together, bolt together and release the gas. But the possible issues are:
+ If the seal is not good (you over or under tightened it) the gas will leak and you system will not work (a gas engineer will vacuum test before releasing gas.
+ Then you have damaged the atmosphere
+ Real engineers may not be willing to come and re-fit and re-fill as the will be unhappy to service this 'cheaper' self installed equipment as they cannot give any warranty.
+ When you sell house it will be flagged that has no installation certification.

As said this was simply from me calling around so might be different for you. Some engineers said they would be happy to fit for me this cheaper equipment, but would not then give me an equipment warranty.

I budgeted:
£400 for cheapest unit
£30 for outside bracket
£0 DIY installation, but you may well need an electrtion as this does need a good source of power.
£250 for F-gas engineer
so call it £750 to £1,000

Please keep me updated as I would be interested to hear which way you go.

I think given all the comments and the costs, ill stick with the oil radiators. I have 1 other that is in my hallway, which i plan to replace with a wall mounted heater running off a FCU spur.

That will give me 2. They both cost me around £40 for the two so that and the electricity used will be well under the cost of fitting an air con.

BTW - although air con is associated with cooling in summer. These little units are great at heating up the room too, so don't read this and assume they are no good for heating as that's not true.

Thanks all

Finally,
You said you are using "electric oil rads which tbh is pretty good. But i'm yet to be in here when its sub zero outside".
If you are wanting to be warmer, improve your insulation and/or buy a second oil radiator not an AC unit.
The reason I was considering an AC unit was because I also wanted to be cooler in Summer.

If you do not urgently need this requirement better to spend your money on more cheap heaters and electricity.

SFK

Thank you. The main reason i was going for air con was its tidy, on the wall and not some hot bulky thing on wheels in the middle of the floor. 2 of them is going to be interesting but i will see how this winter goes. I remember -18 a few years ago, it will be interesting to see what happens when that comes around again!!

The insulation is already as good as ill get it. 100mm PIR in the floor, same on the roof.

Welshopen,
Fully understand with regards to air con being tidy, on the wall and not some hot bulky thing on wheels in the middle of the floor.
All reasons that I was wanting this (plus the other benifits) over the oil heaters - but not got around to it yet.
Instead my oil heaters are no wired up via a programmable timer and thermostats so that room is kept at optimum temp for least cost.

As said, pls keep me updated if you do go for AC as am very interested to hear about fitting it.
SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back