air conditioning disconnecting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to disconnect my Air Conditioning unit without loosing all the refrigerant and need some advice.

When the guy connected up my split unit I knew I would need to disconnect it after a couple of years so asked him then.

He said the easiest way was to turn off one valve and run the unit (which apparently pumps the refrigerant into the outside unit) and then turn off the second valve.

Problem is I can't remember if you turn off the big or small valve first :rolleyes:

Anyone help me on this?

Sponsored Links
Unless your system is fitted with special disconnecting suction & discharge lines I dont think this can be done by just pumping the refridgerant into the compressor section without a) loosing gas or b) needing to de-gas, evactuate and re-charge the system.

Things may have changed since I last worked on a split system though.

(advice removed)

Thanks for your help on this, I thought it was the small one.

I have been unable to contact my installer, I think he has changed company as his mobile is going thought to someone else now.

Thanks again for your help on this, really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
(advice removed)

Are you sure that's the best way? -i'm not

But I would just like to point out that it is now illegal to knowingly or unknowingly release ODS/refrigerants to atmosphere or that there is now legislation in place which requires persons to have a 'safe handling' certificate in order to carry out what you are suggesting..

Cheers

Richard

Just one other thought, do you know the plug sizes for the pipes, it would be good to pick up a couple of plugs to plug off the pipes as soon as I disconnect them.

Thanks again.

Its not the best way. A set of guages are needed ideally along with the ability to know how to fit and read them but I have done it this way in the past and has worked.
(advice removed)
Why are you tampering with it for ?.
You will need an engineer to re-commission it anyway.

(advice removed)

Thanks.

I have been unable to contact my engineer and I have to take the wall its fitted to down for my extension, he told me this was the method he uses (that was 2 years ago when he fitted it for me) and he said I could use this method to decommission it and call him to reconnect it and vacuum pump it out again.

I'm a gas heating engineer but have little experience of air conditioning.

(advice removed)

This is illegal advise. It is now against the law to tamper with refrigeration systems untrained.

As a 'gas engineer' I suspect he would shudder if you told a layman to remove gas pipes and yet you persist with this?

Outragous behavour

-----
Thanks.

I have been unable to contact my engineer and I have to take the wall its fitted to down for my extension, he told me this was the method he uses (that was 2 years ago when he fitted it for me) and he said I could use this method to decommission it and call him to reconnect it and vacuum pump it out again.

I'm a gas heating engineer but have little experience of air conditioning

As a gas engineer you should be well aware of legal obligations. As such what you are proposing is illegal and you are liable to be fined if caught.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back