1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY air conditioning - legality? Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Donkmeister, 7 Jun 2021.

1. Donkmeister

Donkmeister

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've been looking at air-conditioners, the smaller split-systems rather than the portable units. I've noticed a lot of the split systems say the pipes are pre-gassed, but that they need to be installed by an F-gas certified/qualified person.

What is the deal with this - is it actually a matter of legality, or is it just a way of discouraging people from buying them who might half-arse the fitting and leak refrigerant everywhere (not to mention the safety issues of someone trying to carry the exterior unit up a rickety ladder)?

Ideally I'd want to buy a system with 2 or 3 indoor units but having seen two rather untidy professional installations at friends' houses I think I'd rather fit it myself.

If it is legal, does anyone have any recommendations? Any other ramifications/considerations I should be aware of?

I don't want to go with portable units - I had one in the past, it was noisy and inefficient (especially without a tumble-drier vent for the exhaust, having the window open instead).

Last edited: 7 Jun 2021
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Gasguru

Gasguru

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    AFAIR the warranty is void unless installed/commissioned by FGAS.

4. Mottie

Mottie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Dunno about over here but in Spain I saw ones that you fitted yourself, then included in the price was the cost of an engineer to come round, fit the pipe ends and gas them up. Having said that, we just got a firm in to supply and fit as one of them was bloody high up on a flank wall.

Last edited: 7 Jun 2021
  5. Swwils

Swwils

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I thought the f gas regulations stop the sale of equipment to end users unless they sign a letter of assurance that states they are actually f gas registered.

6. Donkmeister

Donkmeister

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ah, interesting. I've gone looking and at least one of the AC suppliers offers F-gas commissioning from £249+VAT... That could be a good compromise, thanks.

7. muggles

muggles

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's not just a case of doing up some nuts and opening a valve. The pipework needs to be vacuumed out with a pump and manifold first to remove air and moisture before filling with refrigerant. As others have said, your warranty will be void without an F-Gas certificate against it

8. flameport

flameport

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The ones with a hose are not much better, as all of that air being extracted outside was previously the air that the device had cooled in the room.

9. Sponsored Links