Disconnect oven from gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I have sold my oven and I need to disconnect it from the gas supply.

I'm thinking that under the top cap there will be a valve that I can turn the gas off with a screwdriver? I can then disconnect the rubber / plastic tubing.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks, Nick

Sponsored Links
No!

Where the rubber transitions to brass there is a collar with a grooved edge. . This lifts and turns a few degree's. . Then the hose can be retracted.

Hence the term. "bayonet fitting".

And hope it doesn't leak when disconnected.

Why would it denso ? that is what they are designed for and are a perfectly acceptable way to leave without the need to cap or plug

Sponsored Links
Have seen every type of gas fitting leak because one does doesnt mean they all will

Thanks all for the clarity - I will crack on with this tomorrow and if it does leak it will be easier to call somebody out to address it.

As one of those miserable gas fitters that feel customers should leave it to the professionals, I am reluctant to comment but it is an item that can be uncoupled without tools so it does seem to be one of those areas where it is commonly accepted.

My point is (after my rant ;) ) that it is important with cooker bayonet fittings if you unplug them to support the fitting from behind with the heel of your hand as they often need a fairly firm push to lift the few mm required enable it to turn. You don't want to strain the pipework and loosen the compression fitting or other joints.

As said only the ring rotates, usually very reliable but leakage is still always a possibility with any fitting.

What a nice refreshing thread to read at New Year's. I was expecting the OP not to get an answer.

Denso
If we are agreed that every type of gas fitting can leak then why dont we just cap at the ecv oops no thats also a gas fitting so lets cap in the street instead oops nope cause thats also a gas fitting .
So looks like the only safe way to remove any likleyhood of a leak is to not have any gas at all

Would it be easier if all bayonet is supplied with blanking cap attach to bayonet with chains, like the filling loop for sealed heating?

Could screw it inside bayonet when not in used.

Daniel.

OP: If ylou disconnect it as suggested, then nip to a plumbers merchant and buy a tin of LDF - leak detector fluid. and pray or brush it on, and check for bubbles indication a leak.

Apparently, in the Old Days, diluted washing up liquid was used, but this is obviously really corrosive and should never be used.

HNY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back