Oven gas pipework

pma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my gas oven with an electric oven. The electrics are sorted, but I assume the gas oven is connected to its pipework by the normal type of flexible hose.
When I disconnect it and the valve on the end of the pipe 'self seals' as it's supposed to, is this enough on its own or do I need to have some additional capping on the pipework for additional safety?

What is the best practise to follow?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but what I meant was- if I permanently remove the flexible hose for the gas oven (no longer required), do I need to do anything to the end of the gas pipework to make it safe or can I just leave it as is?

If your oven is connected with a flexible hose (which some makers do not permit) you can remove this from the bayonet connection and do nothing further. It's the only time when a non-CORGI person is allowed to disconnect a gas pipe.

Sponsored Links
The bayonet fitting is for temporary removal of cooker only. To permanently remove a gas cooker you must remove the bayonet and plug, along with the tests required to prove it is safe.

pma said:
Thanks, but what I meant was- if I permanently remove the flexible hose for the gas oven (no longer required), do I need to do anything to the end of the gas pipework to make it safe or can I just leave it as is?

As long as it doesn't leak - but who's gonna test it?

Sorry should read -

No, as long as it doesn't leak - but who's gonna test it?

Giblets is right a bayonet fitting can be disconnected and left without the need to cap/plug as per Corgi book. Anything else is down to the individuals working methods

namsag said:
Giblets is right

At least my ACS re-training paid off then!:cool: :LOL:

Must have been the only bit that I wasn't asleep in. :rolleyes: (That & MP meters. :eek: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back