Air conditioning in marakesh hotel

Ah, could be, which one is the Hilton? You do need to be careful with hotel names in Lagos, there's the Sheraton ($370 a night minimum) or the Sherlaton, a different kettle of fish altogether and I know the Hilton is the same.

I was actually thinking of some hotels in Kano, as well as the International in Maiduguri where I once walked down three flights of stairs with a torch to wake up the night porter who was asleep on a couch in the lobby and told him to go and start the gen, Maiduguri having just enjoyed a rare evening of electric power, which suddenly stopped.

It is amazing how profoundly silent it can be in Africa when the power goes off; you can hear the mosquitos from several feet away.

Sponsored Links
Your right. You do get used to the heat. I do have one exception.

7 years ago I was in northern Pakistan (baltistan) and stopped in the middle of nowhere. On my watch (off my wrist) I noted 48 degs, we did have a ceiling fan... That didn't work.... Drench the sheet in water, opened the windows and up at 5:00am to leave.... Equally it was an area where the Taliban were, so I kept one eye open. A day later we were in the very lovely mountains....

A sales man in Africa... God, that must be hard work. I will never again complain when digging footings!

It's not all bad, I do get South Africa , which is hard work but fun and every March I take my bike with me and ride the Cape Argus race.

To be honest Nigeria isn't that bad, the filth and the stress are compensated by some excellent local lagers and the Nigerians themselves, who are hard working, resourceful and well educated people.

It is quite a leveller when you do travel to other countries less well off than our own, to see how resourceful and optimistic they are. Then return to the UK. Quite sobering!

Do you use a hardtail/full sus or road bike on your trip?

Sponsored Links
I've been a mountain biker (hardtail) for 23 years but two years ago I went over to road riding and have hardly touched the MTB since. The bike is a carbon Specialized Roubaix, it rides like a dream.

7 years ago I was in northern Pakistan (baltistan) and stopped in the middle of nowhere.

And I always thought that baltistan was Stoney Lane, Birmingham!

Last night I was chatting to an ex-brummie who has lived in the states for the last 20 years. She uses a picture of the Rotunda as her Skype picture!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back