Air conditioning piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing a split type air con into my loft conversion. The manual says to use deoxidised annealed copper pipeing, do i have to use this or can I use some MDPE type pipeing?

Sponsored Links
Air conditioning systems have a compressor that erm, compresses the refrigerant. The pipe has to withstand the high pressure.

Sponsored Links
Another question, where can I buy deoxidised annealed copper pipe? Tried local plumbers mearchants and they dont seem to stock it.

NRS. This is one of the Wolsley group who also run plumbcenter, build center etc.

Hope you know how to use a welding torch.

Also hope you know someone to gas it up for you after the install.

Many systems now come pre-gassed and seem to work ok, I agree that vacuuming out the air is best but you can get away OK with pre-gassed systems.

Regards - JB

Found all materials on BES.

Im also guessing that I cant use conventional solder techniques for this but have to use brazing rods, is this correct?

The system comes pre-gassed with enough refrigerant for 7.5m pipework, problem is my pipework is going to be near manufacturers max of 15m so will need more refrigerant added. Im guessing this could knock me for a few quid, any ideas on a reasonable cost for someone to charge the refrigerant 410A, down in S Wales area btw.

Look on ebay for fridge equipment, you only need a set of guages and pipes, buy a disposable bottle of 410 and Richard's your dads brother!

Regards - JB

The correct procedure: -
Check that access ports (for vacuum and charging) have been provided on the pre-charged condensing unit. If not, you need to add them to your pipework.

During brazing/silver-soldering, bleed nitrogen through the tubes to prevent oxidization on internal surfaces.

Pressure-test your work with nitrogen.

Subject the new system to deep vacuum to remove air/moisture. This may include the indoor unit (evaporator).

Add a weighed amount of charge, as instructed in the manual.

Check the electrical wiring instructions, you may need 5-core wire for the link between units.

It may be better for you to dry-fit the copper tubes and get a qualified guy to finish the job. Make sure his insurance allows the use of flame on-site.

Ok, last question (hopefully), I changed the site of the condenser unit and fitted it on the outside wall thus enabling me to keep my pipework below the manufactureres 7.5m pre-charged limit. The pipes are all connected and I was careful not to get any moisture or other rubish into the pipework.

Is it absolutely necessary to vacumn the system or could I get away without doing it?

johnb80 said:
Look on ebay for fridge equipment, you only need a set of guages and pipes, buy a disposable bottle of 410 and Richard's your dads brother!

Regards - JB
Dick is your uncle.......... :LOL: ........D-I-C-K......not....Robert, then :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back