Air hammer ball joint removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know where I can get a round hammer attachment for an air chisel? I've got a ball joint that refuses to come apart. I've tried heat, plus gas and smacking it with a club hammer but still wont budge. I can't get a ball joint tool on it because it is an Audi A6 with an aluminum wheel bearing housing, the ball joints are tappered and the top of the joint is 24mm, neither ball joint tool I have fits on it. So I am going to try an air chisel but I only have chisel attachments.

The control arm is being replaced so it doesn't matter what state it comes out in.

I can't seem to find a round hammer attachment anywhere in this country, plenty in the US but I need it for this weekend.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I might be stating the obvious, but did you try applying pressure to the joint with a long bar while hammering the sidewall of the taper? Leave the nut on.

Can you use a jack to apply pressure while hammering the side of the taper?

Must be very tight as a little heat usually moves the really difficult ones. You heated the side of the taper, yes?

I can't get a jack or bar under it as there is nothing to lever it on. Using a jack just lifts the entire bearing housing because there is no suspension strut to hold it in place. I suppose I could re-install the strut then try and apply pressure with a jack.

I have been hitting the nut from below trying to force the joint upwards.

It is stuck really tight, the joint on the other side pop out with a couple of taps. I have heated the side of the taper all round and the proceeded with the hammer.

The strange thing is when I use the plus gas, it runs out clear, there is no rust, usually after a while you can start to see the rust as it has disolved away.

Whats plus gas?
It might be worth a try with the jack and hitting from the side?
You were unlucky to get a tight one.

Sponsored Links
I found an attachment, Snap-on do a 1" round hammer attachment but it is £30 and out of stock currently.

I am grinding out the jaw on a ball joint remover tool to 24mm which will then hopefully allow me to get this over the joint.

I am also going to try some Loctite Schnell. Hopefully that, the ball joint tool and a few wacks with a hammer it will come off!

Finally got it out. Grinding of the jaw of the ball joint tool didn't really work as it still wouldn't fit over the bearing housing properly.

So I used lots of heat, lots of Loctite Schnell, Lots of plus gas and lots of use of the hammer.

Cheers for the suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Back